Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Door Sensor/light

Is there an "OPEN DOOR SENSOR/LIGHT" on the market so homeowners inside the house can "see" if the garage door is open? This would be a great convenience for us old folks with bad knees (and comfortable recliners).

i dunno if anyone makes one or not yet. i have seen folks looking before but nothing was available.

one way would be to use a driveway photocell that turns on a light instead of a buzzer. mount it so that the door would break the beam ONLY when raised. then put the light where you can see it.

another would be to simply get one of those X10 cameras and put it in the garage. need to know if the door is up, then flip to a certain channel onthe tv and look. keep a spare clicker in the recliner remote holder and if the door is open you don't even have to get up to close it!

BTW, when we moved in our house my wife was very bad about leaving the door open. i crawled her butt so many times it was not funny, since we don't lock the kitchen door from teh garage. she has not done it in year. however lately there must be a gremlin in the house cause every week at least once MY garage door is open! and i swear i close it.

Comment

most garage door openers have an integral lamp that lights when the door is open. some are timed some stay on whenever the door is open. look on your door opener, there may be a lamp bypass switch that allows it to stay on all the time the door is open. a Leviton X10 system is the other way out. it is a remote camera that sends a video signal to a tv inside the house [wireless] you have a remote on-off controller to turn on the video transmitter from up to 100 feet from the camera.

Comment

liftmaster

check out the accessories at liftmaster.com. They have an option that I think works with any operators

Comment

Chamberlain have open door sensors as well. That's what I have in on mine. They cost about $20 (although I did get mine on clearance for $7). Lowe's have them.
          One end of the unit sticks on the top panel of the door it's about 4" x 2" and the receiver end needs to be near an outlet and is about 4"x3" with two led lights...red and green (for obvious reasons).
          Best thing since sliced bread I say...
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

are you sure having the light sensor will help?? I have one but I wish I didn't,,,when the door is open it is yellow, when it's closed it doesn't turns off, but red,,,,or viceversa?? hmmm can never remember it,as there isn't an logic,,,yellow-red?? I still have to go and look once again if it is actually open or closed,,, =((

Comment

Working...
            X
            =