Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door does not go all the way up

my double-wide garage door will not go all the way up. it goes up about 5 feet and stops. it stops in the same spot consistently.

If I help it along, if I push up on it as it traverses that section, it will go past, and then continue to open on its own.

It does not make any strange noises when opening, which tells me the tracks are parallel.

I adjusted up the 'force' setting on the back of the unit and the door now makes it up without assist - at least the couple of times I tested. (I noted this problem solution on another thread)

My question is "what is the issue here"? Is it possible the springs are aging? or might there be some other problem? I believe i have greased the tracks maybe 2 years ago.

it is a Liftmaster 1/3 Hp. "The profesional line". Security +

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by yelkenli; 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM.

there are three adjustments. up stop limit, down stop limit and a safety stop and reverse if the door strikes an object. [force adjustment] there is a cam that travels along a threaded rod inside the motor mechanism that actuates two switches. maybe the lead screw has become stripped and the cam is sliding along this lead screw.

Comment

I looked for loose screws and attachments and did not find any. I also checked the grease on the tracks and it looks good. I am thinking the springs are losing thier forces. But if the adjustment screws are for the force when stricking an object, then the setting should be well above the door's weight. It works consistently right now.

Comment

Probably Sensitivity Setting

If your door is easily lifted manually you should just have to adjust the sensitivity settings. This actually is suggested to be tested every month by all garage door operator manufacturers.

To find out if there are other issues, you can check a little amber LED light near the learn button, depending on the age of the unit will be green, red, or purple. count the number of times it blinks in succession, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 times. You can then look in the manual and find out what may be wrong and wether you can fix it or need to call in a professional.

Sounds to me like adjusting the up force (sensitivity) should solve the problem.

By the way greasing the tracks is not necessary and may void any warranty's given with the door. Moving parts can be lubricated with a silicone spray lube such as hinges, and ball bearing rollers (not the black vinyl rollers), bearings, springs, pulleys.
        greasing the track does nothing for a door but make it a potential hazard and cause issues with uneven wear on rollers. Don't do it.

Monthly checks of sensitivity and safety beam system are mandatory homeowner maintenance. It takes less than 5 minutes unless you run into a problem.

ryan

Comment

Garage Door does not go all the way up

HayZee518 gets the prize on this one. And now I know what the cam and threaded screw is. The threaded screw that is on the motor shaft is in tact, or so it seems. the large sprocket (not really a cam) that is connected to the shaft that pulls the chain that pulls the door, is completely stripped. It is a white plastic piece (or was - it is now white plastic shavings).

I am not sure of the root cause: manufacturing defect, age, door hitting an obstruction, old springs, door rollers damaged. The door seems to be lifted easily and there are no track obstructions.

But the door worked fine for a few weeks after I turned up the force setting (and did not turn it up by much, and it is not maxed out)

I will look for repair parts. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

I doubt

That turning up the force caused it. How old is the house maybe after 8 or 10 years it just wears out.
            Or maybe foreigners have used it or children. Children can destroy anything. the plastic part - hey (plastic!!!!) may be worn out

Comment

Working...
            X
            =