Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch'N Go 1000A Garage Door Opener Release

My Touch'N Go 1000A garage door opener doesnt' have a release so that if the power goes out, I can release the door from the opener to manually open the door. How can this be? Is this just an old design or am I missing something? Can a release be installed without removing and replacing the entire opener with motor and arm assembly? Or can a new arm assembly with a release be installed without disturbing the opener and motor assembly?

Thanks. Bob
    Last edited by bobjutton; 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM.

Emergency release

Every operator I have seen has some type of release mechanism. It is always some where around the carriage. The carriage is the place where the operator arm fastens to the cain. This release is typically a rope that has a knot tied on each end. So look for a hole that is approximately 1/8" or slightly larger in diameter where a rope would fit through and will disengage the trolley from the door.

If you can not find one, your disconnect may have broken and jerry rigged to not disconnect. Check for anything that does not look origional, such a s fasteners that appear to have no apparent need to be there.

My company has occasionally been able to keep an operator working until we recieved the parts that may not have been on the service truck. The problem with using such an operator, especiall on as old as a :"touch n go", is that the primary function of this mechanism is a safety feature to prevent one from being trapped under the door. Without this release it could take several minutes to rescue someone.

Unless you are able to connect a rope and make the release work, I would suggest a new operator. Belt-driven LiftMaster would be a great option.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
    X
    =