Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sears opener gears shot

I have a Sears opener that i put in 5 or so years ago and tonight it quit working. I checked it out and i see the motor still runs but the cover had plenty of nylon gear grinding dust in it. I presume the gears are shot. Can the gears be Replaced??? Or am i just better off buying a new opener?

I'm pretty sure the gear(s) can be replaced. there's a sears site for parts on the web.

Comment

Sears service center

You can buy the parts at any sears service center, usually for around $25. It may be easier for you to buy the whole sprocket assembly for $30 approx. This way you don''t have to mess with getting the roll pin out. It is not that difficult to get it out but you need a punch to push it through the sprocket/gear shaft. Do this before you take the motor off. It would probably cost about $100 to have a service proffesional do it. Do not pay more than that. You should be able to get a quote over the phone. If there is any wear around the chain sprocket, replace the whole drive shaft, or you will have problems in the near future.

This is the most common problem with the chain drive operators. Lubricating them with a low temp grease will lengthen their life, but this requires taking the cover off, and most people won't do it.

If you have a professional do it, they should verify that the door is in good working order and limits and sensitivity settings are set properly.

Ryan Reeson

Comment

I ordered what i believe is the correct gear drive. It cost about $42 with shipping. I'm not sure if i should take the opener down or can i actually work on it in place?? Actually im not sure if im capable of doing this repair, but there's only one way to find out!! Will the new gears come with any directions?? Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment

installing gear kits

I believe there is instructions,

If you are unsure, you can use a digital camera to document each step as you take it apart, but I will give you some easier instructions here.

First unplug the operator, take off the cover,
          - then identify the stripped out gear.
          - then if you bought the part with the sprocket assembly you want to disconnect the wires from the motor. (a red, white, and blue wires). Not the blue wires are both on the same side of the grey starting capacitor, and the red wires on the other side.

Break the little white wire tie holding the wires together so you can take the motor down.

then take the little tiny white gears off of the bottom of the drive shaft.
          next take the limit assembly (black plastic piece with 3 white plastic screws)off of the motor mount. It is mounted on the underneath side of the motor bracket.

then take the serial cable off of the rpm sensor. this is approximately a 1" square circuit board that has a black circular flywheel going through it.

next take the 4 screws out that hold the motor in place, and remove the motor.

Then take out the 3 screws that hold the drive shaft in place and remove. Note here that you want to put the new drive shaft in the same position on the chain to avid having to much limit adjustments later.

Install drive shaft.
          note the position of the sprocket cap, to make sure you can install it after you have the 3 screws back in place.

then take the motor assembly apart and replace the worm gear, I recommend setting the pieces aside in order of removal so you can identify which pieces you need from the parts sack.

you will need a 3/8 wrench or nut driver, hex key 1/8" i think, screw driver or something to pry off brass housing, and I use a long 9/16" socket to put the new worm gear and brass collar on, then the washer, spring washer, cap, and collar back in place. Then put the flywheel back on.
          (If it is in good shape you could just clean it and lubricate the old worm gear. My company policy is to replace it, but it doesn't always need to be done.

Lubricate the gears with the grease provided.

put the motor back up,

attach the serial cable to the rpm sensor circiut board,

recconnect the red whit and blue wires.

install the limit assembly, and the little white gears on the bottom of the drive shaft.

plug it in and test it. If it works your almost done. if not, you didn't put something in the right spot.

Make sure you put everything back where it was.

If you just bought the drive gear and worm gear you will want to take out the roll pin before you remove the motor., and then reinstall the roll pin beffore you run the motor.

Let me know if you have any problems

Ryan Reeson

Comment

gdoorpro i really appreciate your help. I completed the job last night and it went well. Took me about 1.5 hrs but i went slowly and cautiously. I was shocked that it went as well as it did! The part was $40 with shipping and it did come with instructions but i think i used your instructions more.
            THANKS AGAIN!!!
            budman 1984

Comment

Originally posted by budman 1984 View Post
              gdoorpro i really appreciate your help. I completed the job last night and it went well. Took me about 1.5 hrs but i went slowly and cautiously. I was shocked that it went as well as it did! The part was $40 with shipping and it did come with instructions but i think i used your instructions more.
              THANKS AGAIN!!!
              budman 1984
              I would also check to see if your garage door is running good and freely so you dont have to replace the gears again in another year. Disconnect the door from the operator and run it manually, you should be able to lift it up with one hand. If it is hard to move then you might need to have the springs adjusted and/or other parts lubricated or replaced.

If the door isnt balanced properly then this will cause the operator to compensate for it, and the first things to go will be the gears in the operator. I would bet that your door needs some TLC if your operator does too.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =