Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door won't stay down

Hello, I have a LiftMaster Model 1255R. It works fine using the remote control. However, when I have to manually raise the door (like when the power was out this morning), it comes up fine, but when I pull the door down, it won't stay down. When I pulled the rope to "unlock" it and raise it up, it went up very fast. When I pulled it down, it sratred up slow, then sped up.

I have search around trying to see what I need to do to get it to stay down when in "manual" mode, but I haven't found anything.

If anyone has some ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

The springs are the wrong ones, or the torsion spring is wound to tight. These things can hurt you very bad, dont attempt to adjust them, play it safe and call a repair man

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
      The springs are the wrong ones, or the torsion spring is wound to tight. These things can hurt you very bad, dont attempt to adjust them, play it safe and call a repair man
      OK, thanks for the reply. Since I hardly ever have to pull the door up / down manually, I was thinking about just living with it. do you think there would be any harm in that? Or, get some slide locks to put along the rails so that if I had to raise it, I could lower it and engage the locks to keep it from going up???

Comment

sounds like the springs or tension springs are out of whack. they should be adjusted to counter the door's weight so there's next to zero force needed to open or close the door. USE CAUTION. YOU COULD LOSE A COUPLA TEETH IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL!

Comment

Spring tension

You either have the wrong springs or too, many winds on the current ones. You could just live with it, but you risk potential injury to anyone whom might do what you did if the power goes out.

Obviously you do not know who may have serviced the door previously (if you do I wouldn't call them again - unless they were willing to fix it for free). I suggest going to IDA | International Door Association. This is the International Door Association web site and searching for a reputable dealer in your area, and have them service the door. It might cost you $200, if you need torsion springs, but you will avoid the risk of injury too yourself, and anyone else whom may use the door.

There is a current lawsuit in Chicago from last May in which a child was killed by a malfunctioning door/operator. Named in the lawsuit was not only the assumed dealer and manufacturer, but also the Homeowner. You can find the story on WGN's website.

A door that flies up probably won't kill anyone, but it could damage someone significantly especially if it somehow fell out of the track. Play it safe. Have it repaired. It will also help your garage door opener last longer by taking some stress off of it during the downward movement.

Ryan

Comment

I install SteelCraft garage doors. With lift master openers.

I know from personal experience that the springs are too tight. You will have to look at your owners manual for that door or the install instructions for the proper spring wind. Also do not work on it yourself. I have even seen big time general contractors not work on the doors because of the springs. I also have seen guys use punch chisles for the tools to wind or unwind. I personally use 2 18 inch long peices of stainelss althread. The thread grips the adjustment rod holes and doesnt slid out. I have herd stories about the smoth rods or the taperd punch chisle flying out and leaving a hole in someone. It is not worth the risk. Also when and if you get a repair person out to repair do not stand in the line of fire when they do the work. Stand to the side if you want to see how it is done. It will not hurt the operner in the short term but in the long run it will provide with prematur wear on it witht he adjustment like it is. Also do not add slidelocks with a power opener. The one time you forget to unlock them and you try to open the door could result with a broken opener or a broken door or track. The newer liftmaster openers have sensitivity adjustments and it may trip the overload and stop the door from opening but you never know. Also after the door springs get adjusted make sure the repair person sets the sensitivity adjustments on the opener or when the door goes down and someone could get crushed because it is still set for the hard downward force. Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...
            X
            =