Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix torsion with extended springs????

On a garage door is it imperative the same type of springs be used on both sides? One of our torsion springs broke. I know they can be very difficult to replace. So our thought is to replace it with an extended spring system. Not sure how this would fly though. This is a 16x7 wooden door, and imagine the spring load needs to be consistent/same on both sides for the door to open smootly.

Thanks.

I imagine the loading of the spring would have to equal the other spring otherwise the door would shift to the left or right depending which cable was affected on its way up or down.

Comment

don't do it

This would take some super creativity to accomplish, but in the long run would be a waste of money. Odds are the other spring was the same size as the broken one, so it should break soon anyway. Springs come with a life cycle, standard is 10,000 cycles, once up and down is a cycle.

Torsion springs You can upgrade to 20K, 50K, on up. With extension springs you can't. My recommendation at this time would be to consider replacing the door altogether, especially if you have an insulated garage. You can get a tax credit on an energy efficient door through 2010 with a maximum credit of $1500 taking in to account other energy efficiency improvements.

Since you have a wood door, my guess is your house is at least 15 years old since that was when everything went to predominently steel doors.

Since Torsion spring replacement runs $200 or more in Omaha, higher in many other places, applying the 30% tax credit and the $200 savings, you may actually solving a problem over the long haul, by spending an extra $500 now and getting a door that will have fewer problems over the next 10 years.

Things to ask a garage door company, How many struts for reinforcement are their, how long of life cycle comes with the door, how much to upgrade if it doesn't come with at least 25000 cycle springs. To grade the door quality, and for good measure also ask for a regional wind load rating upgrade. The company that charges the least for the windload upgrade probably has a better door to begin with.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
      X
      =