Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door opener bracket won't attach to garage door

Our garage door has issues to the point where I am unable to attach the garage door opener bracket to the door. The bolts have pulled out of the door and i've tried gorilla glue as well. I cannot adjust the length of the attachment bar. My wife suggested attaching a block of wood to the door, and then to the bracket, but I'm looking for other options as well. Please help...

Use 5/16" carriage bolts through the door and a piece of wood on the bracket side.

Comment

ideally i'd like not to damage the outside of the door. Are there other possibilities

Comment

You can try using small sheet matel screw(or rivet) to fasten the style back to the top, rip down a 2x4 to fit in between the style and the inside skin of the door. Install a garage door strut across the door at the top section, which will help support the repair you make on the style.
        Replacement of a top section is a easy job if you can carry the door section in a pickup or trailer. But if the door doesn't now have a strut besure to install one before installing new section.

Or do it as Haysee 518 says and paint the carrage bolt on the outside, as you may not see the bolts anyway, might be behind the header.

Comment

When you say you cannot adjust the length of the attachment bar, why is that? Does this mean if you could, that this would solve your issue? If so, and you really can't adjust its length, you could adjust the limit switch on your opener so that the "attachment bar" goes farther forward toward the door on its down cycle, thus allowing you to position it lower on the door. This would work if you either have a wood door or an insulated steel door with a steel beam underneath, or a non-insulated steel door. If you have an insulated steel door with no steel beam to hold the bracket or even a wood door, here's what I would do: Attach a short piece of angle iron/punched angle from the top of the top panel to the bottom of it (where the center hinge is). Then get rid of the original bracket that was attached to the attachment bar, and attach the bar directly to the angle iron with a bolt and self locking nut (not too tight).
          I have a feeling you have a wooden door, since you mentioned through-bolts earlier.
          PS. Glue won't help a bit in cases like this, as I'm sure you already know by now.

Comment

You can by a metal reinforcement bar that will stretch the height of the top section. If you have a strut across the top of the section it sould go underneath it and over the top of the center hinge at the bottom of the section.
            Call any dealer in your area and find out what they use. You won't find this in the store. Ask for a operator reinforcement stile.

Ryan

Comment

Furthermore, for optimal performance, the pivot point of your arm ("attachment bar") should be at the same height as your top rollers in the tracks. Make sure that's right before putting humpty dumpty all back together.

Comment

Had the same issue!

I had same issue

Comment

Last week

I just call few company and one of them just send A tech, he fix it in 20 min

Comment

Dont glue it, you will brake the door

Comment

opener arm attachment fix

the best and most cost effective method would be to place a piece of angle iron vertically along the "style" that it used to attach to, drill a hole through that (or use punched angle iron) and re-attach your opener arm. and yes the optimal point of attachment is the same height as the top rollers

Comment

I would just call a tech too..

Comment

Yeah, just call over a technician man.

Comment

Yeah, I think the easiest way is to simply paint the carrage bolt from the outside.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =