Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more security.....

Don't know it it's even appropriate to post in this forum, but I was looking to ask if anyone can help me with an issue in my garage. Long story short, I will be getting a rolling tool cabinet to match my top box and I want to make it more secure. I don't exactly have the most sturdy of garages, and I have lots of pricey tools stored in the top box and will be putting my pneumatics and other specialty and diagnostic tools for the car in the roller when I get one. I hear lots of horror stories of those who just pull up and break into people's garages and just put these in the back of their pickups and leave. I have made an investment in what I have even though it may not be top of the line stuff, I have accumulated much and some expensive and I don't want to see them unexpectedly leave my garage. What can the forum recommend I do?

make a bracket that bolts onto your lower unit, like a bar, horizontally. make a duplicate latch that grabs hold of this bracket as you roll the unit into a corner wall. make it so its lock-able.

Comment

I know a guy who has vintage cars, thieves broke into his very well stocked with tools garage, they didn't bother sorting what they wanted they rolled all three rolling tool storage cabinets straight out of the garage and laid them in the bed of trucks and drove off, took them 8 minutes with 5 guys (neighbors called the police they got there in 11 minutes. He never did see those tools again.
      His solution was to lock the boxes but more importantly he anchored the rolling tool cabinets to the garage floor with simple steel L brackets anchor bolted to the floor and bolted to the bottom of the cabinets. this way he can remove the cabinet bolts to move the cabinets, it takes a few minutes but he doesn't need to move them all that often.
      His point was that the harder you make it for thieves the longer it takes them, thieves don't like taking a long time, they want in and out.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Lock box security

Install four or eight heavy duty screw eyes into your garage studs that'll clear your roll around's handle when it's pushed into a corner. make up a bar with a steel washer up top and a hole for a padlock just below the handle clearance. see diagram.

Comment

Make sure you have good locks on all your doors. It is a good idea to keep your house in good repair. Make sure to fix any damaged windows or doors immediately.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =