Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demolish and Re-frame converted garage door opening

The original 9x7 (width x height) garage door opening was converted to a bedroom wall and I'm trying to convert it back to a garage door opening, BUT for a 8x7 garage door, however I'm not sure how to go about the demolishment and more importantly the re-framing for the 8x7 door. I would like the new garage door opening to be more to the left if possible if it doesn't complicating things. Basically what is the easiest way to go about this.

Here is a picture of the opening as it exists right now. (may need to remove the space after http

http: //flickr.com/photos/54766090@N05/5076474681/

The white part of the wall is original and the unpainted wood is the wall addition (note the right hand side white jamb has a lot of holes, from the original garage tracks I assume, so I'm not sure I should be using it for new tracks.

Thanks, any advice would be very helpful.
    Last edited by zongo; 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM. Reason: correction

http: //flickr.com/photos/54766090@N05/5076474681/

Comment

It looks to be a non load bearing wall so your job just got much easier (just check to make sure the rafters do come down onto this side). As well if they are trusses you job got even easier.

When you say more to the left, do you mean you want the left side of the door to start closer to the corner ?, if you don't want that then it's a simple matter of adding some 2x4 material to the right hand side to bring the opening down to your required size. You wouldn't need to move the header at all.

If you want to move the entire door then you will need to basically remove all the door framing including the header and re frame the entire area in the new position.
      Last edited by gdoorpro; 11-25-2010, 01:35 AM.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks pushkins helpful stuff .... I bought a new 9X7 garage door and will just put it in where the old door was to avoid any re-framing. I guess I'll just cut out that pressboard/studs with a reciprocating saw?

I do have a question though. How do i remove and properly replace the end white jack stud(s) that is full of holes from the original garage door tracks and replace it with a good stud? (or would it be ok to reuse it with all the screw/nail holes...what would you do)

Note: the spacers (nogging?) in-between the two jack studs are 2 5/8"
        Note: there is an original worn 2x4 bottom plate in the garage door opening on the floor but the height from the floor to the top of the opening is the correct 7ft, so I guess I should leave it even though it leaves a bump??

Thanks

Comment

The stud your referring to should be OK to reuse, you really need a lot of screw holes in a stud to render it in need of replacement. If you do decide to replace it do so before you cut out the other studs in the current doorway, they make your job very easy, simply (while all the other studs are in place) cut out the offending stud with a reciprocating saw and replace, then remove the other studs. This way you really don't need to brace anything.

You also should remove that 2x4 bottom plate across the doorway, it's most definitely not original, I can see in your picture where it stops and starts right at the new framing section.

Comment

Thanks Pushkins,

How do I cut out a stud with a reciprocating saw with a wall behind it ? I broke one blade already because it hits the backing plywood/stucco wall?

Oh and the bottom plate I'm referring to is actually under the newer one your referring to...its gray so hard to see but it runs the whole length of the bottom of the garage wall ...does this change your answer?

Comment

Ahhhh the "old blade bounce" scenario....lol the trick is to either hold the blade just off the OSB/ply board and use the tip edge to do the cutting this is kinda hard and takes some practice. OR If you use a metal blade and just cut through the nails that join the top plate to the stud (or bottom plate whatever is easier) then with the aid of a trusty hammer you should be able to either lever or hammer the stud out (leverage is a better option).
              Multi tools are also a good way of doing it also, albeit time consuming.

And yes there really shouldn't be a bottom plate in the doorway section of a doorway. Most garage floors are sloped to allow water to drain out the doorway area (car parked after driving home in the rain or snow etc...) the bottom plate left there will stop water from leaving and that's just one of the reasons.
              If you remove the plate does it leave a channel in the concrete? kinda looks in your picture like it would, if so how deep a channel ?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =