Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Size

I am building a shop in my back yard with 3 garage doors in it. They are 10x9 doors. My question is: What is the actual size of the door itself? Does the door actually measure 10' or is it under or over sized? Also, since I am ordering 10x9 doors, will the actual finished opening be 10x9 or is the finished size a little under that? The reason why I am asking is because I am pouring a flat monolithic slab and my concrete guy is doing to make a recess for the bottom of the door to fit down in to. I need to know how wide to make the recess.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

garage door openings are usually ok if they are exactly the size of the door. so a 16' x 7' door would need those dimensions. Most doors overstack about a 1/2" so you could cheat up a little on the height, but not on the width.

You will need to tack or install the weatherstip to the opening to hold the door up and not fall out of the opening. Use long nails (16 penny) to hold the sections up against the wall, by pounding them in and bending over the last 1/4" of the shaft/nailhead.

you could also go a 1/2" short of the width to get a little better seal.
    Ryan

Comment

Why are you recessing the concrete at the door ?
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
        Why are you recessing the concrete at the door ?
        Because unlike a stem wall garage floor that has a slope to it, this slab is flat. With the recess, it helps greatly in keeping out the rain.

Comment

Why not taper the slab downwards from the door closing line in the opening, the door seal will do the rest.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =