Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete forms for piers

I need to pour about a dozen piers and would rather not go with just cylinder (sonotube) forms. A friend had mentioned that he once used either hexagonal or octagonal cardboard forms to pour some piers, but I can't find them locally or online. I can make up a set of wooden forms, but would certainly rather just place 'n pour if possible. Any ideas for a source for these things, or if they still even make them?

I looked and couldn't find anything but if it'll help you the angles for a hex type form are 12 - 30 degree angles. for an octagon are 16 - 22 1/2 degree angles. You can use perforated steel strapping to hold it together. makes knocking it apart easier.

Comment

I could be completely be misunderstand what your trying to do, so that my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Basically, piers to me is a dock on the water. I'm think piers as in footers, so if I'm correct this might work for you.

You could just make hex or octagonal forms with 1"x4"s or the like then use them with the sonotubes. Just sink the tubs and use the form on top to get the shape you want that's exposed to view.

Comment

Concrete Forms

I looked on the web and aside from poly forms and sonotube there really isn't a whole lot on the subject. I made up a diagram which if this is the route you wish to take, includes the angles at the corners. The joints can be glued together at four of the corners of each "half" and use perforated steel strap to hold the whole thing together. Use plenty of kerosene and heavy oil mix to serve as a release agent.

Comment

Is it a cosmetic reason you don't want to use sonotubes ?
          and
          In what many of construction are you planning on pouring piers?

This will help to understand what your trying to achieve.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =