Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craftsman lawn mower foam air filter

hello - just had a question about replacing a foam air filter. i have a craftsman rear bag gas lawn mower. i'd like to replace the air filter, which is basically just a piece of foam that fits into the air filter unit. the instructions on the new replacement air filter which i saw at sears (did not buy it yet) says you have to soak the new foam filter in clean engine oil, and then squeeze out the excess oil. is this true? what would happen if i just insert the new foam filter in the unit without soaking it in oil? would this damage the lawn mower? couldnt i just clean the original foam filter with soap and water and let it dry and then use it again?

rich

yeah...that's what i'd do. Just clean the old one, if it's not too dirty. after you clean it put a little bit of oil on it, not too much. I'tll do ya fine!
    master carpenter

Comment

When you put oil on the filter it helps the filter to trap smaller particles and hold onto them. I imagine it also helps to condition the filter and make it last longer. If the old filter is not real diryt you could try and clean it and reuse it. If its very dirty just buy a new one, put a small amount of oil on it, wring the excess oil out, and install.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =