Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chainsaw?

Last month I asked, gas or electric chainsaw and chose gas. Now what brand? I realize you get what you pay for, but I will only use the saw MAYBE four times a year tops. And then for only an hour or two at most. Just cleaning up fallen limbs from a lot of old trees.
    I don't want to spend more than $200, which I know is very low for a gas saw. I was looking at the 170 Stihl, the 141 Husky and some Poulans. I probably only need a 14 or 16 inch bar(won't be cutting down any trees bigger than 8"). I know I am narrowing the choices considerably with the cost limit. But considering how often and for what it will be used for, I can't see spending more to just sit there. It just won't get used!
    If anyone can suggest some saws in this price range and that would be a good fit for this type of use, I would greatly appreciate it.
    P.S. Please don't suggest a used saw, I don't mind fixing things once they break, but I'd rather be the one that broke it.

Bill

Check out McCulloch. Easy to start, easy to use, easy on the pocketbook.

Comment

Husquavarna aren't bad. Poulan's two stroke engine has a rewind that wears out often. replacements are about 15 bucks apiece.

Comment

The 170 stihl is a nice saw for smaller type jobs. I personally like Husqauvarna and Stihl equipment; chainsaws, weedeaters, leafblowers, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the replies MEDIC, HayZee, and bdean. I went with the Stihl 170. Its light, has pretty good power, starts easy, and is easy to use. The price of the saw with some Stihl 2 cycle oil was $200.05 including tax, not bad. I got it at an authorized dealer who is only a five minute drive from my house. I've used it twice and it actually makes cutting wood enjoyable.

Comment

I have a 141 DONT DO IT

I had one and it sucked a mount screw into the piston and blew up. Yea it can't possibly do that but it did. So much so that the dealer never heard of it but Husky did and they said so to their credit. Dealer gave me a new one. Never has run right, starts very hard always when cold. It has one of those auto chokes that dumps when you touch the trigger. The first one worked ok but not the last one and I hate the thing. Its built cheap, no two ways about it. I know you are thinking light duty I won't be doing a lot of cutting at one time place ect but believe me thats just what mine sucks at. It isn't easy to modify the choke so it works decently either, damned cheap and just not set up for modification. Spend the bigger bucks for a non consumer model if you are getting a husky you won't regret it. Otherwise if you want a cheap saw get something with a primer bulb, something Husky left off. Trust me you won't be getting any quality in a cheaper Husky saw. If it won't start reliably you will hate the thing. Get a Stihl or a 350 husky. I do like the size of that saw though. Its powerful enough to knock down a big tree if you are careful and light enough to not make you tired which is what really will get you hurt. One thing you will love if you are doing any real cutting is one of those Husky combo hardhat, ear muffs. For 50 bucks they do rock and you wouldn't want to be without one if you saw more than a couple cuts a year. So convenient compared to a face shield and set of muffs......

Check here for lots of chain saw info Hearth.com Forum | Powered By ExpressionEngine Look in the gear section.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =