Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain question??

I have a horse barn that sits off my drive way about 30'. The ground slopes down about 15 degrees. Yea I knew better but I tried at the time to get a couple loads of gravel but my guy was busier with his road job so he didn't and I went ahead ( they do that around here a lot). Now the barn, pole barn gravel floor has water getting under the front edge. No big deal but if I can do it easily I would like to put some sort of drain in there to shunt some of it away off the sides and keep it drier if possible. The front area is also the open side so our free ranging horses come and go there so its fairly soft. Any ideas how I could put some sort of tile in there to do that, links pics ideas?????????????????
    God damned putz with the dump truck, I think of him every time I go near there!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have met with a problem in relation to drain then its healthier to take service of an expert i.e. plumber

Comment

There is an easy and reasonably cheap fix to your problem.

Simply dig a trench along the side that the water flows down from the driveway from, the depth and width of the trench will depend on the amount of water you actually get. In most cases dig 12" deep and 12" wide, place 2" of drainage gravel in the bottom of the trench then lay 4" corrugated and perforated pipe (with a silt sock on it) then back fill with drainage gravel 4" on top of the pipe, then 2" soil and grass (as long as it's not clay). You can bring the gravel all the way up to grade level if you want (this is ideal) but it depends on the finished cosmetic look you desire.

Most big box stores carry the perforated drainage pipe and silt socks, you can get the pipe pre "socked" as well. The pipe is around $ 4 / 10' section and you can get 50' and 100' rolls.
      Across the opening (assuming this is not a water flow area) where your horses come and go, instead of using the perforated pipe use regular schedule 40 PVC (they sell adapters to transition from this to corrugated) and backfill with soil, this will compact back down and not cause any dangerous areas for your horses to stumble.
      Check to see where most of your water comes from, is it from the driveway (downspouts etc...) or is it just from the falling rain on that 30' area?
      If it's mainly from the driveway then you could install the drain beside the driveway and stop the water before it even heads towards the barn.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =