Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gypsy Moth Problem:

Last April-May 2007 my property as well as the surrounding wooded areas were invaded by the Gypsy Moth,

Preparations have been made by the County to spray the area between the end of April and early May of 2008. They will be using the BT chemical.

I have assisted in lining up the surrounding neighbors to invest in a second spray effort to be done on/before May 15th using Confirm 2F.

In the process of doing whatever research I could concerning the problem I found a product called "All Season's Spray Oil" (a petroleum product by Bonide).

The purpose of this product is that it is to be sprayed on the trunks of the trees to smother the content of the Gypsy Moth egg masses so they will not produce the 500-1000 critters that each egg mass contains.

The guidelines for using this product is that the outside temperature should not be below 40 F. and the product applied early enough in the day so that the treated surface will dry before nightfall.

The recommended mix for the application is to use 5 1/3 ounces with one gallon of water.

It was November 13, 2007 before I could get my yard worker committed to working with me to do the initial spraying effort. That day the temperature was on/about 59 F. and the next day was sunny and mild. Using two gallons of the concentrate we treated fifteen trees.

I am not having much more luck in trying to find someone to help me this spring - I would like to do at least 15-20 additional trees.

Last year I had seen the first emergence of the Gypsy Moth on April 29th.
    That would mean I must try to get this second effort taken care of on or before April 15rh - and even that might be too late.

I wonder if any of the readers have had any experience in using the "All Season's Spray Oil" and, if so, had it been effective?

Maybe I am just spinning my wheels, so to speak.

at a distance of about five feet from the ground take regular ol vaseline jelly and apply a band of it about four inches all the way around the tree trunk. the gypsy moths will not cross this barrier. they crawl up the tree trunk hopefully going to the leaves up top but not being able to cross the jelly will fall off and die. I was in Mass when they first appeared and there were swamps of 'em.

Comment

Gypsy Moth Problem:

Thank you for your reply HayZee518 -

At the time I had been doing my research I did find a website Treehelp.com - Tree Care Made Easy - that had a product "TreeHelp Bug Band" available - a blue band about 7 inches in width - that as far as I can tell comes with the "glue" on the surface - it is put on the trees with the string or rope that is supplied. The cost at that time was $9.90 for a 10 foot roll - or you could get five for $45.00.

I rather ruled that out because in my correspondence with that website - I understood that it might be necessary to replace the first effort because the first wrapping might get well covered by the critters as they attempt to cross the area.

At this point - i have used a strip of such as construction ribbon - about an inch wide - placed about four foot above the base of the tree - to identify the trees that have been treated with the spray product. (Mostly so I could figure out if the effort was worth it.)

Your suggestion does sound possible - you seem to be advising putting the vaseline jelly directly on the surface of the tree? That certainly would be do-able. Where on earh could I purchase vaseline jelly in such as gallon jugs -
      if an answer to that would be within your area of expertise.

I guess I will have to do a "search" on the Internet - that certainly is possible.

Again, thank you for your help.
      Last edited by Sunshine; 03-30-2008, 05:29 PM. Reason: I have left a word out "At the time I had been doing"

Comment

Working...
      X
      =