Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushrooms invading

I was told by a neighbor that there used to be a Elm tree in my front yard. It got Dutch Elm Disease and the previous owner took it out, I can see a big hump where it used to be. This area (in all 3 years that I have been here) becomes infested with mushrooms. It seems to happen in the spring and fall. What can I do to get rid of them? Why do mushrooms grow where trees used to be? There are hundreds of them in a matter of a day, probably in a 5-7' diameter area.

Thanks

Rotting tree wood is a mushrooms favorite food source. Even when the tree roots have been ground the left over ground up wood material is still yummy to mushrooms, plus many times they use the ground up stump to back fill at least part of the grind hole.
    Are they magic shrooms?....lol
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

mushrooms are spores, just like mold, but these may be the edible kind. Truffles are spores also and feed upon rotting wood. try getting rid of rotting wood and your "shroom" problem should go away.

Comment

I don't really want to dig a huge hole in my yard. The stump and roots are no where to be seen. How long does this go on after a tree is taken down? I was really looking for something I could spray without harming my lawn.

Dan

Comment

mushrooms

Check with a local nursery that carries organic products -- they may have the answer.

(I just saw this old post of mine and the word nursery was highlighted and it shows up an ad when you roll over it-- who is putting those in there and how? Is this coming from the board somehow-- not my link.)
          Last edited by Allison1888; 08-10-2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: change link

Comment

The mushrooms are having a feast on the cellulose from the shredded stump. The byproducts of this activity are nutrients that your yard will love. Remember that not many other critters can process cellulose into usable nutrients so exterminating the fungi will deprive your lawn of large quantities of free fertilizer. Remember that the mushroom you see on the surface is just the fruiting body of a primarily subterranean fungus so you will need to treat the source if you want to solve the problem. A copper solution soaked into the mound should slow the production of the offending shrooms if you are certain thats what you want. I'd leave em.
            If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I will leave them, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Mushroom loves rotten wood. if possible avoid keeping it so that there quantity will slow down.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =