Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TroyBilt tiller and smoke

So, ready to put in our vegetables for the year. I had a hard time starting the tiller - A TroyBilt rear-tine. I figured it was just stale fuel, so I drained the tank, cleaned the spark plug, and put in fresh fuel and got it going. Added a few tablespoons of oil just for good measure.

It runs as smoothly as it ever has, except that every so often it'll sputter (it wants to run at half choke, which seems odd, to me), chuff, and then belch out a large - and I mean, LARGE - cloud of dense white smoke. I'll do a couple of rows - chuff belch smoke - row and a half - chuff belch smoke - three rows - chuff belch smoke.

I'm pretty sure, smooth as the tiller engine is otherwise, that the smoke isn't normal.

So, to sum up: fresh fuel, half-choke, smooth run, periodic smoke.

Advice? Ideas?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

could be the oil rings on the piston. or maybe the engine is pumping oil into the combustion chamber, firing and blowing it out the exhaust.

Comment

Troybuilt tiller...

What kind of engine is on it? You said you added a couple tablespoons of oil. Added it to what?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
        What kind of engine is on it? You said you added a couple tablespoons of oil. Added it to what?
        To the oil pan. On this model, gasoline and oil are NOT mixed. Not on purpose anyway.
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
        Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

Smoke puffing...

May still have some varnish left in the fuel system. Get a product called "Sea-Foam" and add that to the fuel system. It will help clean the carb from any varnish and clean the combustion chamber as well. Get it at an outo parts place. Use it outside on a windy day....

Comment

Working...
          X
          =