Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting exterior brick techniques

Hello to all.
    I have a all brick rancher.. The brick is not an attractive color brick-I have seen homes that are painted a faded white color-but has worn areas, which has red brick showing though--
    these houses were painted in the last year or so...is the paint sand blasted in areas to create the illusion that the wall is weather beaten? or it it wiped off...?

Thank you in advance for any info you can share.
    bH

quote:Originally posted by budhouse

Hello to all.
    I have a all brick rancher.. The brick is not an attractive color brick-I have seen homes that are painted a faded white color-but has worn areas, which has red brick showing though--
    these houses were painted in the last year or so...is the paint sand blasted in areas to create the illusion that the wall is weather beaten? or it it wiped off...?

bH
    You can paint the brick and then take a wrasp and file the brick to show signs of wear. Good Luck!

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews
    \"I can do anything I put my mind to!\" Robin Mathews

Comment

Hey BH,
      Im intrested in doing the same thing. Do you have any idea what that process is called?
      Ben

Comment

Hello to all.

bH
        BH I too am interested in this technique. I have seen a lot of this in Memphis, TN and stopped to ask a painter. He said that the technique is done by applying house paint to the brick, waiting a period of 3 to 5 hours drying time according to the temperature, and then pressure washing it.. He said it can also be done by watering down the paint and applying only one coat of paint to the brick. He said he preferred the pressure washing technique as you had more control. There is no one in our immediate area that is familiar with this technique and I would like to know if anyone has tried this. Guess we are afraid of messing this up. fpshort

Frances Short

Comment

I hope to have my red brick painted this year...it is not necessary that I get the worn look, tho I do like that too...I need to find which kind of paint is best for painting brick...and how often to expect to have to repaint...I want a white or cream.

neperry

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fpshort

Hello to all.

bH
            BH I too am interested in this technique. I have seen a lot of this in Memphis, TN and stopped to ask a painter. He said that the technique is done by applying house paint to the brick, waiting a period of 3 to 5 hours drying time according to the temperature, and then pressure washing it.. He said it can also be done by watering down the paint and applying only one coat of paint to the brick. He said he preferred the pressure washing technique as you had more control. There is no one in our immediate area that is familiar with this technique and I would like to know if anyone has tried this. Guess we are afraid of messing this up. fpshort

Frances Short

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fpshort

Hello to all.

bH

Frances Short

Comment

quote:Originally posted by robinmm01

Hello to all.

bH

You can paint the brick and then take a wrasp and file the brick to show signs of wear. Good Luck!

My painted brick house was built in 1888 and I don't think it's ever been re-painted. It has a deep porch, and where the brick has been protected, it has the wonderful aged look you're talking about. I'd like to repaint the remainder of the brick (after repointing) and would like it to blend with the aged areas. Maybe the pressure washing technique would work.
                Sorry about the posting mistakes, I'm new here. Great info, thanks!
                Judy

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews

Comment

Working...
                X
                =