Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an Egress Skylight

I'm restoring a late 1800's brownstone in an historic area of Brooklyn (non-landmark status). I'm doing a roof tear off (many layers of black tar) and installing a torch-down rubberized, flat roof. I'd like to build a deck on top.

Problem is: I can put a spiral staircase leading up to the roof. However, what method of access can I employ without building a sheltering structure to house the landing?

I've thought about using an "Egress Skylight" but all say that the hardware is not meant for regular use. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

David

How fancy do you need to be? Would the spiral staircase be on the interior of the building, or would it be attached to the side of the building? With your roof being flat, I am having trouble coming up with solutions. Why don't you want to build a small shed?

Have you considered a roof hatch as an option?

Comment

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

The staircase will be internal and I'm leaning more towards a straight stair at the moment. The notion of stepping down from the roof into a spiral landing is kind of scary. Also, I really am trying to keep the roof line as simple as possible. With a straight stair I could merely install a railing or grab bar outside the hatch.

I have considered a roof hatch. It would be the easiest, most cost effective route. However, I do like the idea of having some light come through. I checked out the site you attached and the best case scenario would be a 4 x 6 version of the site hatch, with a glass or plexi insert (for light) and some type of hydraulic/gas mechanism to allow for easy lifting/lowering. In addition, the hatch would need to lock in at a 90 degree (or higher) angle, so as not to come crashing down on anyone.

Is this something ironworkny can handle?

Regards,

davids

Comment

Hi:

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were affiliated with ironworkny.

If not, I can certainly contact them and get an assessment.

Addressing the shed issue: My home is 4 stories, surrounded by 3 story homes. Also, it sits at the top of a minor hill. Believe it or not the elements up there can get severe. I know from the frequent repairs I've already made to the chimney(s), tar roof and existing hatch . . . I'm trying to treat the space like a ship's deck. Just want to be able to use it when the weather's good and seal it all up tight, when not.

Do you see any issue with my using a large egress sylight with safety glass and beefing up the hardware?

Thanks for your brainstorming.

Regards,

davids

Comment

No I am not affiliated with ironworkny.com. I had trouble thinking of a solution for you, so I searched and found that. I have never used them.

It seems to me you could use whatever you want, as long as it is durable and you can get it to seal.

That brings up the other issue. Do you feel confident that you can get it to seal? This seems to be a problem with flat roofs.

Comment

Pretty sure I can get a good seal. While we call it a flat roof, it is pitched slightly to allow run-off to the rear. The pitch is going to be a bit of a challenge in creating a level deck, but I think I'm up for it.

I have a small, existing hatch that has never represented much trouble. Although, I do need to be on top of any bubbles or cracks before they get too bad.

That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the rubberized roof! They've proven very effective in these parts.

I'm confident that even if the hardware and gasket of the egress skylight isn't meant for regular use, if I modify it slightly and committ to keeping an eye on things, repairing/replacing as neccessary, it should work.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

davids

Comment

Working...
            X
            =