Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping metal garage door

Ok, so my husband has been working on getting the garage door stripped of it's paint for two months now. We have two single garage doors made of metal and he has one halfway done.

Currently, we're using some sort of gooey paint stripping material. We put it on with a paintbrush (a section at a time) and the paint bubbles up. Sort of. Then we use a scraper to try to get the paint off. It doesn't work too well. It *almost* works better without the stripper because then the paint chips.

Anyway, his concern is that he doesn't want to damage the metal with harsh abrasives (I've suggested a sander).

We're doing it ourselves for economical reasons, but at this rate it will take 8 months or more to finish this project...not counting the cold weather factor. If we can't get better results soon, I'll have to borrow money to get new garage doors...but I'd rather not if I can help it. We're not afraid of a little labor, but we are of 8 months worth.

Any suggestions?

Rent (borrow) an air compressor and sand blaster for a day. Will make quick work of it and will give the metal a nice 'tooth' for the fresh primer and finish coat.... Of coarse, use all the protection you can:eyeshield, face shield, ear protection (noise and grit), hand and skin protection. Sounds like it will be messy, and it will be, a lot of sand and paint flecks to sweep and vacuum, but when you're done! You'll be pleased!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =