Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand of exterior latex paint should I use?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand of exterior latex paint should I use?

My house needs painting and I will do it myself. I simply need suggestions on which brand to use. The previous owner painted it about 8-10 years ago and I have a remainder of a can they used. I will be painting it the same color. They used Enterprise Exterior Latex Flat, 12yr. First, I wonder if I should at least go from flat to satin to help provide some durability and a little nicer look. Wal-Mart has ext. latex satin in "Colorplace" brand for $12/gal. It is 15yr. Great price but is it any good? Home Depot and Lowes ext. satin range from $15-$22 with numerous brands to choose. I have no idea if I will be getting better paint just because it costs more. Help... I wonder who makes "Colorplace" for Wal-Mart? I have used Colorplace int. and it applied as good or better than $19/gal American Tradition from Lowe's. I needs help from experienced folks please.

The first thing I learned about paint was buy the expensive stuff.I recently visited a sherwin williams store and learned about a paint called "Duration". What the sales person said was that they would send a rep out to the house and tell you how to properly prep. the surface and apply the paint. After that they guarantee it for life. or they will pay to have it re done. Iam going to try it after the rainy season.

Has anyone used this product?

Comment

Go with the advice from Sherwin-Williams. Expensive isn't better always. Are there less additives in the cheaper paint? Paint weathers over the years - some of them chalk up year by year and is washed off by rain. Eventually repainting is necessary. Why not vinyl siding? You won't be painting every twelve years!

Comment

Before you invest your cash, time and major effort in painting, consider the spray-on plastic (or whatever) coating that is being advertised. If my house was not already clad (over the original wood sheets) in vinyl, that's what I'd do. There is no more unwelcome task I can think of than (repeatedly) painting a house. Why they still build houses requiring painting is beyond me.

Comment

Spray on plastic? Tell me more! I have a 35x25 two story barn that needs to be clad with 'something'. I looked at the barn red siding, but it's twice the cost as regular becuase of the UV inhibitors. What is this sprayon plastic you're speaking of?

Comment

Most well known paint companies have a top line exterior latex that is 100% acrylic. There is no reason to buy the most expensive, but most will be far better than any 12 or 15 dollar a gallon paints you can buy at Walmart. They will give you far better sheen and color retention, and also resist chalking. Most of these products are rated at 20 to 25 years.

You're right to consider a sheen, it will increase durability. Most 100% acrylics come in a "velvety" or eggshell finish (instead of a true flat). This will give you a flat look, with just enough sheen to increase the durability like a satin or semi-gloss.

leone184
            leone184

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fixitforfree

My house needs painting and I will do it myself. I simply need suggestions on which brand to use. The previous owner painted it about 8-10 years ago and I have a remainder of a can they used. I will be painting it the same color. They used Enterprise Exterior Latex Flat, 12yr. First, I wonder if I should at least go from flat to satin to help provide some durability and a little nicer look. Wal-Mart has ext. latex satin in "Colorplace" brand for $12/gal. It is 15yr. Great price but is it any good? Home Depot and Lowes ext. satin range from $15-$22 with numerous brands to choose. I have no idea if I will be getting better paint just because it costs more. Help... I wonder who makes "Colorplace" for Wal-Mart? I have used Colorplace int. and it applied as good or better than $19/gal American Tradition from Lowe's. I needs help from experienced folks please.

Comment

Wal-Mart Colorplace, both interior and exterior, is currently supplied by Sherwin-Williams.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =