Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Cedar Siding

So, 3 years ago I have this guy come to my house and his guys sand here and there and touch up all over the place.

A year later, paint is falling off in a lot of places. This time I pay the guy a bunch of money to "paint" my house. A year later, a dark mold is growing all over the place on the outside. I call the guy. No problem he says, we'll spray it off. They spray it. Paint falls off in too many places for me to be happy.

I say "what is the deal ?" He proceeds to tell me that he stained over the existing stain that was on my house, but that staining is not a very good idea (?). He then tells me that for a bunch of money, he can paint (actual paint) my house with some new magic paint that stays on forever and has some very long warranty, etc.

In the meantime, I sit with a house with paint chipping off of it, and I am not (understandably) happy with this guy. However, I know do not know what to do. If it is painted, will the paint come off just as readily, bcz of the underlying stain ? Am I doomed ?

I don't know if I'll cry, I don't know if I'll die.........laughin'

Find someone else - cedar shakes are very porous. Oil based stains are best as they soak into the wood. A product called "penetrol" can be used to establish the "oil" in the wood and keep it from drying out.
    My Dad had good luck with a latex based paint made by Pratt & Lambert for outside use on shakes.

Comment

Love the name!!

Comment

Don't discount a good exterior 100% acrylic primer and paint. Cedar siding is very high-maintenance, and will peel badly. The acrylic paints are very blister resistant. I would let as much of the old paint peel as possible. Then give your home a good power washing, (a mildewcide can be used at this point if needed) and let the siding dry for at least a few days. This is **VERY important, cedar can soak up quite a bit of moisture. A hot, dry July is a good month for this type of work. Then apply a good coat of 100% acrylic exterior primer, followed by a good coat of 100% acrylic paint, most likely a flat or velvet finish.
        *** There are 2 things you need to know ****
        1) Cedar siding is very high maintenance, more than likely there will always be some minor peeling no matter what paint you use. The acrylic paints will keep this to a minimum, and will retain their finish so touchups will be a breeze.
        2) If you choose a light color, you may have some tannin bleed. Some of the natural color of the wood may bleed thru the finish coat, It won't affect the durability or cause peeling, just look bad. If you have a tan or medium off white (or anything mid-tone or deeper)in mind it won't be an issue.

leone184
        leone184

Comment

Working...
        X
        =