Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sikkens-finished cedar siding in poor condition

I have cedar siding on my house that is in very poor condition on all sides except the north side. I believe that the original finish was Sikkens and that it hasn't been touched since it was applied when the house was built about 25 ears ago. It has cracked, blistered, and peeled quite badly in the areas exposed to sun and wind. The power washer works quite well on the south side of the house but has next to no effect on areas that are protected from the weather where the finish is actually in quite good condition. Neighbours have also had problems with their Sikkens-finished cedar siding that was exposed to the sun. I don't know if the problem is the product or if it is because the owners have neglected to look after the siding over the years.

The question is how to prepare the surface for refinishing without using chemical removers (I have a well) or sanding?

Do I need to stick with the Sikkens or can I use some other product? If the latter, what would be the best product to use? Can I avoid having to strip everything down to the bare wood?

The west half of our house is vertical cedar board and batten. Poorly applied. Never tended over the 35 years it's been in place. Don't think it was Sikkens coated, just cheap barn-red stain I think. That will all be replaced with a brick panel product, hopefully this year. No way to salvage it.

Comment

Have you considered flipping the boards? When you flip over the boards, you'll probably find that you have good bare wood. Repair the cracks and holes. You can wash both sides with a mixture of 2 ounzes of tri-sodium phosphate or phosphate free substitute plus 1 quart liquid bleach in 3 quarts of water. Let the solution sit on the wood for 15-20 minutes but don't let it dry on the surface. Power wash the cleaner from the surface. Allow the wood to dry for 3 good dry days. Put the boards back up with screws instead of nails. Apply a good stain and you'll have a beautiful cedar wall again.

Comment

Well, Austin, this wood is in pretty poor shape. A lot of woodpeckerholes that have been coverd upwith plaques of wood as well as the tops from canned goods! It really looks nice since it was all painted over! Pitiful! This wood is pretty much splitting apart and too weathered. Not to mention the rot and insect damage. That whole section of the house needs to be better secured from the weather and insects. The best way (for us) to handle that is to panel brick it to match the rest of the house. It's a two story 30x30 addition that has two fireplaces. The fireplaces are another sad story better left for some other forum. But....your suggestion would otherwise be a good idea for a place with possibilities. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =