Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutter color suggestion for red brick house

I have a colonial house that has a red brick front with white siding on the attached family room. The shutters are currently black with white trim on the windows. I think this makes the house look too federal especially because we have a hip roof. I am looking for color suggestions for the shutters, garage doors etc. to soften the house and give it more of a country look. Any other suggestions for softening the house besides painting the shutters? I was thinking walkways, portico...? but I don't know where to begin and want to keep it cheap. Thanks for the help!!

Can you include a picture of your house so we can visualize? If you can't figure out how to upload it, send it to support@homerepairforum.com and I'll help you post it.

Welcome to the forum!

Try
    Try

Comment

Here is a picture:

Nice house!

Try
      Try

Comment

Are you going to repaint the white? I think it adds to your "federal" look, and a color that complements what you decide to paint the shutters would really help. Otherwise I think a shade of green or taupe would look nice. I understand what you mean, if you find the right color, then it can make the whole house look different.

As far as other ideas to soften the house, how about something over the door? Some taller trees in front so you don't have a direct view of the house may help. Maybe change the light beside the door too. Not that I don't like it, but I think it would really give you a different look.

Is that what you meant?

Comment

My wife suggests some type of porch on the front. The first would be to minimize the shrubs. The porch at that door could be of any sort that would be covered and have columns at the two outside corners. One style would be to have a porch only at the front door (sides and top). Another would be to have that same footprint porch extend to the roof line and encompass the second floor window. The corner columns reaching to the ceiling of the porch and have a nice centered hanging porch lamp fixture. A third suggestion (notice how these are getting more pricey?!!) a porch across the front with the porch roof dividing the the first and second floor, but with the center portion at the door to, again, go to the roofline with the corner columns. The porch floor could be maybe a couple feet larger than the floor area along the building walls. It could be done in stages, too. The center structure one year and each side a successive year. Doing the shutters in a lighter shade would help, too. Smaller shrubs and lots of flowers along that porch would be quite striking. That's a beautiful place. Lots of possibilties. Flower boxes at the windows would be good immediate fix. Since you have such a great photo of that place, make some extra copies and start sketching stuff and fill in with colored pencils......

Comment

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have been considering a porch for a while! I am leaning toward a full porch with the dormer above it but my budget doesn't allow for it right now which is why I am thinking about color changes. I am leaning toward dark taupey gray on the door, garages and shutters with a lighter shade on the trim above the windows, around the door, around the garages and window boxes. What do you think? I am planting flowers which you are right will do a world of good. Lots of pink to play off the taupe. I am also considering a walkway but don't know if I want to add more brick. I am stuck with the white because it is vinyl and my husband would shoot me if I paint it but I have considered painting the brick. Any thoughts on that??

Thanks for all the help! Maryg

Comment

Working...
            X
            =