Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting fiber board garage door

I have a wooden garage door with fiberboard pannels between the wood frames, and of course, over time, rain has begun to seep into the fiberboard squares causing them to swell and loose paint. I've tried soaking the fiber board with epoxy and then painting, but that only lasted a few years. When I scrape old paint off, I just end up scraping more of the fiber off the panels. I have thought of replacing the lower section of the door, but this is one large door spanning both bays of the garage and I'm worried about the expense of that. Any thoughts?

I'm going to toss in my two cents worth here, the material your talking about is probably Masonite. From my experience your going to be doing nothing but chasing your tail and constantly repairing this door. Once the moisture enters masonite it's pretty much a done deal, surface coating the material just adds a level of protection to the exterior BUT the bonding glues used to bind the material together are on a downward spiral regardless. It will just keep swelling under the new paint.

A new garage door for a double car garage are not all that much and pretty much a good DIYer can install one within a few hours, and the best part is ........water doesn't damage them.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =