Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New double glazing and split caulking sealant

Hi, I had new double glazed upvc windows fitted earlier this year in July. I felt the job was done well at the time. I noticed a week ago that the the caulking which seals the window frame with the dry wall/sill is splitting in the corners. I contacted the company with images. The receptionist said that she did see the issue and would get someone out to me by Friday.. But she has come back to me today saying that the sealant is only decorative and that a lot of windows take time to "settle" causing the sealant to come off... and that I should get some caulking and do it myself. I noted that it has barely been a year and I am concerned that this might lead to further leaks and damage. But they said they cant come out for a small job like this. Google says : caulking on the interiors is for aesthetics only.... but surely this should not come apart in less than a year even if it is due to "settling of windows" or a hot summer!

Originally posted by kemiy View Post
    Hi, I had new double-glazed upvc windows fitted earlier this year in July. I felt the job was done well at the time. I noticed a week ago that the caulking which seals the window frame with the drywall/sill is splitting in the corners. I contacted the company with images. The receptionist said that she did see the issue and would get someone out to me by Friday.. But she has come back to me today saying that the sealant is only decorative and that a lot of windows take time to "settle" causing the sealant to come off residential caulking... and that I should get some caulking and do it myself. I noted that it has barely been a year and I am concerned that this might lead to further leaks and damage. But they said they can't come out for a small job like this. Google says: caulking on the interiors is for aesthetics only.... but surely this should not come apart in less than a year even if it is due to the "settling of windows" or a hot summer!
    thanks in advance for any help

Comment

Working...
    X
    =