X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centurian
    replied
    win 98

don't waste your time with win 98...it was great at the time.. but has went the way of the dodo bird...microsoft will not support it and any software download you will have problems...I'm still running XP but in time it will go also...

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    I got into setup showing the BIOS order but it won't let me change it. I have tried several ways suggested on the net but no luck so far. Not in any hurry.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    The only bios on the screen says v4.51PG but the user manual says the default boot sequence is A&C. My disc goes in E.

I found some info from MS that might work. Haven't found Win98 directory yet.
    Last edited by ba_50; 08-09-2012, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    win 98 and se

check your bios and see what the boot-up order is. should be something like A: then CD: then C:
    computers way back then had an A: drive [floppy] then they read the CD drive and finally the c: drive.
    If you can get into the win 98 directory see if you can find an AUTORUN command.
    Normally though the machine should bootup off the CD drive and try a clean install. Eventually you'll see a box that asks for the CD key - five separate number/alpha sequences that you must type in.
    SE means second edition and installs over win 98

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    Well I'm back, been busy.

Having some trouble of course.

I found the instructions with the complete install and a repair one.

2012-08-07T09:30:25+05:00A
    A fatal error has been detected and the application must be terminated
    assert:assert(a;;icationname.length()
    >0") failed at domain (.\main.cppi 576)

It won't run using add programs either.

Says it is not accessable.

It said in the instructions to go to
    window\options\cabs\setup.exe and run setup, but has no setup exe.

Using control panel I get infromation about drive, net, KB, manual etc.

I don't think it will work.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    Nestor,

I got the CD this morning.

Do I need a key? Will it install 98 and SE98? Thanks.

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
    Well, I'm no computer whiz, but I think the "root" folder means the root directory, which will either be the Windows folder on the C:/ drive or the C:/ drive itself.

HDD means Hard Disk Drive, and that'll be the C:/ drive.

If you type:

winzip32.exe download

into Google, you'll find quite a few different sites where you can download it free, but I think if you take a blank CD down to any computer store and tell them what error message you got, they can probably just copy winzip32.exe from their computer onto your CD.

If someone said to "boot" the CD, they meant to "boot from the CD". To do that you turn your computer on and let it boot up normally. Then press the button on your CD drive to open the tray to accept a CD. Put in the CD I sent you and press the button again so the tray with the CD loaded retracts into the CD drive. Now shut the computer off, wait for it to shut down, and then turn it back on.

When you turn the computer back on, it'll first check to see if there's a disk in the floppy drive. If so, it'll look on that floppy for boot up instructions. If it doesn't find any, it'll check to see if there's a CD in the CD drive. If it finds a CD there, it'll look on that CD for boot up instructions. Finally, if there's no floppy or CD in the machine, it'll boot from the hard disk drive.

So, by starting your computer, loading the CD I sent you into your CD drive, then shutting your computer off and then turning it back on, the computer will look for boot up instructions on the CD before it boots from your hard drive. And the CD I sent you contains the instructions to wipe the hard drive clean and reload Windows 98.

However, that will wipe out everything that's on your hard drive now. If there's stuff on there you need, you might be best off to get a computer tech to get the stuff you need off your computer before you format the hard drive and reload Windows 98.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor
    replied
    Well, I'm no computer whiz, but I think the "root" folder means the root directory, which will either be the Windows folder on the C:/ drive or the C:/ drive itself.

HDD means Hard Disk Drive, and that'll be the C:/ drive.

If you type:

winzip32.exe download

into Google, you'll find quite a few different sites where you can download it free, but I think if you take a blank CD down to any computer store and tell them what error message you got, they can probably just copy winzip32.exe from their computer onto your CD.

If someone said to "boot" the CD, they meant to "boot from the CD". To do that you turn your computer on and let it boot up normally. Then press the button on your CD drive to open the tray to accept a CD. Put in the CD I sent you and press the button again so the tray with the CD loaded retracts into the CD drive. Now shut the computer off, wait for it to shut down, and then turn it back on.

When you turn the computer back on, it'll first check to see if there's a disk in the floppy drive. If so, it'll look on that floppy for boot up instructions. If it doesn't find any, it'll check to see if there's a CD in the CD drive. If it finds a CD there, it'll look on that CD for boot up instructions. Finally, if there's no floppy or CD in the machine, it'll boot from the hard disk drive.

So, by starting your computer, loading the CD I sent you into your CD drive, then shutting your computer off and then turning it back on, the computer will look for boot up instructions on the CD before it boots from your hard drive. And the CD I sent you contains the instructions to wipe the hard drive clean and reload Windows 98.

However, that will wipe out everything that's on your hard drive now. If there's stuff on there you need, you might be best off to get a computer tech to get the stuff you need off your computer before you format the hard drive and reload Windows 98.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-31-2012, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    Nestor,

I got your emails. The key was on my computer but cabs 74 wouldn't open due to missing winzip32.exe.

In order to keep from losing anything, I understand I should go to the root folder of existing HDD and re-name win.com to win.old than boot to win 98 cd & proceed.

I'm not sure what the root folder is or what the HDD is. I'm not sure how to boot the cd either. I'm not much help here.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor
    replied
    Check your private messages.
    To do that, look for orange and yellow bars at the top of the web page that shows all the latest posts. Those bars extend all the way across the web page. Under the "Forum" link on the orange
    bar, you should see a "Private Messages" link on the yellow bar. Double click on that "Private Messages" link.

If you still can't get my e-mail address, let me know.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    I'd appreciate that but the address didn't work. I left the . and @ as normal.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor
    replied
    Bob:

I'll ask my nephews to look for their Win 98 disk tonight when they get home. If I can get it, I can copy it with Clone CD and snail mail it to you.

In the mean time, it's not going to cost you anything but your time to e-mail me your name, address and zip code.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    Nestor,

I don't want it to be that much trouble, but thanks anyhow. Bob

Leave a comment:

• Nestor
    replied
    Here:

My e-mail address is: (encrypted)

bjwkwv(caps lock)t@ukia.bwr

For each letter or button in the above encrypted e-mail address, press the button on your keyboard to the RIGHT of it.

E-mail me your name, address, US Postal Code and e-mail address and I'll see what I can do.

Bill Gates and I go back a long way. He saved my life one time. I was in Redmond Washington and these three big goons came up and started beating the $#|^ out of me. I was just just about to lose consiousness when a stretched limo pulls up, the back window rolls down, and Bill sticks his head out and says: "OK, that's enough." Bill saved my life that day.
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ba_50
    replied
    Nestor,

A computer guy who writes for the News-press in Florida said we should make a copy of our licensed XP etc. You mentioned cloning. Are you saying that just burning a copy won't work?

I still don't know what 98 software I need if I buy it. W98 and SE upgrade? Just SE? Stuff like that.
    Thank you. Bob
    Last edited by ba_50; 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor
    replied
    Hank:

I'd just keep asking around amongst your friends to see if anyone of them will copy a Windows 98 disk for you. Just get them to download a shareware program called "CloneCD", and it will write and copy cluster by cluster from one CD to the other, so that what you'll get will be an exact duplicate of the original.

Using Clone CD I was able to make a back-up copy of Windows XP Professional just in case the one that came with the computer was lost or damaged. I know it's identical to the original because I reload Windows XP Pro from that copy every time I get a virus on my surfing computer.

SlySoft CloneCD | clone cd, backup cd, cd copy, copy music cd, copy navigation cd

I expect Microsoft is as concerned about you copying Windows 98 as MGM is about the chinese selling bootleg copies of "Dune", which was a box office flop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
=