Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP ScanJet 8300 Professional Flatbed Scanner

I wonder is any of the readers have had any experience good-bad working with the HP ScanJet 8300 Flatbed Scanner?

I have been out-of-touch (with the forum) since last year because I have been having trouble with my previous computer system - no need to expound on that. No matter I have recently been "upgraded" to the Windows Home XP system.

For some reason the computer person could not get the "old" SCSI to work with the new system. He even purchased a "new" SCSI - did not work.

So, I must consider purchasing a new scanner. I found that the HP ScanJet 8300 Flatbed Scanner will copy standard as well as legal documents - that is why I am considering it. Another reason: it does not require the SCSI and uses the HI-Speed USB cable for connection.

The fact that it also does photo work is not all that interesting/necessary because I use a digital camera with the 3 1/2" floppy.

My problem is finding the source - a source that will send me a NEW UNUSED scannoer - I really would need ALL the software that is listed to be available with the unit.

I have looked at several websites:

PC Rush.com seems to tell me the product is NEW. The reviews from BIZRATE seem promising.

PCNation.com seems to tell me it is "new and factory sealed", but the reviews from BIZRATE seem to tell me that several people have had a problem getting delivery on an item ordered.

PCUniverse.com - is not clear concerning if it is new or refurbished - however, the website does list most of the software that I would expect -
    The reviews from BIZRATE - several entries mentioned receiving a refurbished items when it was not expected.

TigerDirect.com - questionable.

I would appreciate any feedback on this concern.

HP scanner.

No experience with that particular scanner. Two things: First, have you contacted HP help about the problem? They are VERY helpful and quick to respond. Second, if it's beyond hope, that is hardware related, and would be too costly to repair it, HP does have a terrific repair/upgrade program. They'll give a 'discount' toward an upgrade unit if you send them the old one.

Comment

You could save some money

You may not need to buy a new scanner.
      If you answer the questions below I may be able to help you save some money by utilizing your current scanner.

Upgraded from which OS?
      Could the old/new SCSI adapter be physically inserted into the Motherboard?
      In what way does the SCSI Adapter not work, i.e. hardware or software?
      What is the manufacturer and model number of both the SCSI adapters and the scanner?

Here are a few settings that are required for older SCSI scanners on newer SCSI adapters.

1) Disable sync negotiation.
      2) Max file transfer rate 5 megabytes per second or slowest possible.
      3) Enable disconnect (select no)

These can be selected via a software interface either via the adapters accompanying disk or a combination key press during system boot-up prior the POST screen.

Joseph
      Last edited by Joseph; 02-21-2007, 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo
      You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

I would avoid Tiger Direct like the plague. When they send exactly what you ordered, you can get some very good deals from them. But if anything at all goes wrong, their customer service is legendarily bad. They'll stall, delay, bluff, refuse to send an RMA, then delay some more... until the time window for returns/refunds has expired and they tell you "too bad, sucker!"

A handy technique is to google for the name of a retailer plus the word "complaints":

"tiger direct" complaints

The search above reveals a plethora (yes, an entire plethora) of gripes. Top on the list:

Consumer complaints about Tiger Direct at consumeraffairs.com

Read that page and you'll see the kind of sleazy tricks Tiger Direct have been pulling for years without cleaning up their act. If that's not warning enough, check out some of the other links Google turns up.

Could be that the other companies you list have similarly low reputations. Google them too and find out what previous customers have gone through. Note that ANY large retailer is going to have some complaints! Dig a little to see whether they're for isolated instances or they indicate a regular pattern of unacceptable business practices (Tiger Direct definitely fits the latter).

Hope this helps you to avoid grief!

Meffy Ellis

Comment

HP ScanJet 8300 Professional Flatbed Scanner

It is now Thursday, February 22, 2007 on/about 12:30PM. I came into my "workroom" to turn the terminal/computer on - curious to see if anyone had responded to my concern. I was really surprised to find three responses - ALL most informative - I will try to respond to each in this communication.

1st: mrcaptainbob: I have contacted HP many times in the past and have not found them all that helpful - if you can understand their communication. I do know that I would have been able to go to the HP.com site to download the drivers, software and firmware that would allow my new computer system to "speak" to the Windows home XP operating system. I gave a copy of this page with the product number (for my scanner) noted to my computer person to use. I honestly do not know if he utilized this connection.

As for returning my current ScanJet 4c Scanner to HP for a "discount" - the scanner weighs a ton, so to speak. I would probably cost me more to return it than any "discount" that might be allowed. However, it might be well worth the effort. I will give that considerable thought before I make my decision.

2nd: Joseph: I have been "working" with a computer company that deals with new and used equipment. Their website: Alliance Computer Stores, Inc. - I have been "working" with one of their technicians for the past year - while he attempted to retrieve my old Windows98, 2nd edition to function after a previous - certainly less able - computer person had transferred many of my files from a previous hard drive to a 20 GB hard drive, but that is really ALL he did - I spent the best part of last year trying to clean up that mess!

So when my technician from Alliance took away my old system - I gave him as much detail as possible concerning what had taken place.

I do believe that he tried using the SCSI taken from my previous system and when that did not work for whatever reason - he purchased and/or used an alternate on - I do believe it was attached to the Motherboard. He did not clarify in what manner it did not work.

Bless your heart - you really do believe I know what I am doing with the computer system - I am just stumbling along. However, the next time I talk with the technician on the telephone - I will ask him your questions -

Until I get the replacement scanner - he will not be making another trip to my home.

3: Meffy: Thank you for your input on those websites - you have given me another source to possibly get a better feel on the activity of these different websites. I will use your suggestions - my concern - generally when I purchase something via the web there is not a great deal of dollars involved - so if I do/did have a problem - it was not all that of a problem. However, this scranner will be costing at least $400.00 and with that kind of money involved - I really want to try to be cautious.

---as an aside --- I really have searched the web for a scanner for less dollars, but have not have all that much luck. I did find some in/about $100.00 but they would not copy legal documents.

I had told my comuter technician that I was willing to consider a scanner that did not copy a legal document, but I really did need it to copy colors -
          As I indicated in my original contact - I have really 'searched and searched' the web and did not find anything of interest - the HP ScanJet 8300 is as close to my previous scanner that I have been able to find. Considering that the HP ScanJet 4c cost close to $900.00 - I feel that the $400.00 is not all that bad of a deal.

Again, I would appreciate any additional feedback on this concern.

Comment

try two sources I have found helpful - www dot geeks dot com and www dot pacificgeeks dot com. I have purchased two modems from one firm @ $4.50 each and a usb floppy drive from another for $19.95.

Comment

Saving Resources

Did your tech take your old scanner and the 2 SCSI cards away?
              If I only knew the Manufacturer and Model Numbers I could find out for sure if the required drivers for Windows XP are available thus saving you money and our landfills.

That's the only reason it wouldn't work, as long as the bus type required by the SCSI adapter is the same that's present in the computer (the card fits).

The difference between your tech and I, is that I have nothing to gain monetarily, just the satisfaction of helping someone save many types of resources.

At age 50 I have yet to pay anyone to repair anything! I’ve been a DIY’er since birth, been building computers since 1994, and built 2 homes to boot.

Good Luck!

Joseph
              You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

HP ScanJet 8300 Professional Flatbed Scanner

This is a reply to "Joseph's" 2-21-2007 and 2-23-2007 responses.
                My computer technician was here on 2-28-2007 to "work" with my system. When he was here - I told him about my question(s) sent to the homerepairforum.com. And asked him about the questions you had presented.

First of all, I believe I was mistaken in my original question when I stated "he even purchased a "new SCSI - did not work." When he was here on 2-28-2007 I believe he said that the second SCSI would have cost on/about $70.00 and if that did not work - it would not be returnable. (I do not believe he was aware of what I might have paid for that scanner originally.)

Justin wrote down some responses to your questions - hopefully - I will be able to present them to you properly.

In response to the Q of 2-21-2007 -

1: He had upgraded my system from Windows 98 second edition to Windows Home XP.
                (my addition: He had upgraded the entire system and far as I know with all new parts.)

2: The SCSI adapter did not - possibly could not be inserted into the Motherboard. (he did not clarify).

(my addition: The CD ROM reads: "VIA Chipsets Motherboard Utilities CD." and the manual cover reads "Supports LGA775 Intel Pentium 4 Processor".)

3: Software drivers.

4: It is a ISA slot adapter.

I believe in response to the "settings" you wrote about - I believe the Justin indicated he was aware of that data.

In response to your 2-23-2007 message:

I do NOT have the SCSI adapters here - The only thing that Justin said/wrote down - "PCI SCSI adapter-non-centronics. Looks like parallel connection (female) for a printer."

Justin indicated that if you can provide any data and/or a site where perhaps a workable SCSI could be obtained - that might be helpful.

Another new concern. When Justin was here I asked him if he could possibly set my type on the screen to be just a bit larger. Well, that did not work well - I found the print to be much as what now appears at this website. In fact, when we asked for a print-out the print-out would have been nine pages rather than the six original print-out.

Justin did make the change back to what I believe was/is "normal" before he left. However, when I brought up this website the print is LARGE and I don't know how to change it back.

I x'd out of this website and went back to the home page - went to start - to control panel - to accessibility options and checked on display tab.

I went down the list to click on "windows classic" - the O.K. and then Apply -

When I came back to this website the letters are still large??? I did to click "refresh" - that did not work.

Well, that's about all for now.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =