Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Restore Doesn't Work

I have a Gateway desktop (2003 version running Windows XP Media). Some time ago, the system restore quit working. I can try to restore to a chosen point and it runs and comes up with a message that says it was unable to restore to that point. It doesn't matter what restore date I pick, I get the same results. Does anyone have a step by step procedure I could do to correct this problem. I would like to be able to use the system restore again.
    Thanks!

by default windows xp home or professional installs the system restore files when it is installed.
    the following is off the microsoft site for restore point turn on.
    Steps to turn on System Restore
    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
    3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
    4. Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Comment

Yes, and if it is on, it might help to turn it off, restart your computer, and then turn it back on. You'll lose your old restore points, but sounds like they aren't doing much good for you anyway. It should start to work again in the future, at least...
      Try

Comment

it will be all right by just giving the format option.

Comment

Originally posted by jamestiato View Post
          Bad advice, most likely. "Format" erases the hard drive, for those of you who don't know, which would be a last resort.

This is an old thread, and has hopefully been resolved.

If you're attempting to perform a system restore, that means something bad has happened. In my experience, this badness is generally due to malware. Recent malware not only infects your main system, but also your restore points, while screwing with your configs and effectively breaking most means of ridding your computer of infection, which includes deactivating malware/virus scanners, system restore, process killing, file deletion, hiding processes and files, etc.

I recommend that you get a few, not just one, scanners such as the free Adaware, SpySweeper, MicroTrend and AVG scanners, and let them loose on your computer. Many of them will not delete without purchase, but you can at least see if you have an infection. Then you can determine your next course of action.

Comment

I have had that problem in the past on an old xp computer. I honestly just kept on hitting restore over and over again and it would not work. Then my brother comes in and hits it once and the computer restore process worked just fine. I was dumbfounded.

Comment

Re:

Some malware infects your system restore files too. So you might clean it out and it will reappear when you restart your pc. If this happens you have to turn off system restore to get your pc to delete all the restore points. I dont know if the online scans tell you, but BitDefender when installed will show you which an archive is infected and cant be cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by jamestiato View Post
                Before you do this.. Make sure that you have yourself a backup for your files. Format option will sure erase all the files you have on your machine..

Comment

Working...
                X
                =