Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What phono preamp to use?

I want to get music off LP's and put them on my computer.

There is one called DAK phono preamp & interface mixer. Does anyone have any comments on it or others? Thanks. Bob

I've got DAK on my machine. It's very good and normalizes the tracks. What I needed to do was copy tunes to magnetic media then re-copy the magnetic media through DAK to the computer with an MP3 extension.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I've got DAK on my machine. It's very good and normalizes the tracks. What I needed to do was copy tunes to magnetic media then re-copy the magnetic media through DAK to the computer with an MP3 extension.

Does the software do most of the work? Some of the users with different techniques make it sound complicated, like separating tracks, picking and choosing songs on an album etc.

I would like to get the transfers as acccurate as possible. I mean why do it if it isn't right?

Just noticed my email from you yesterday about the chat line. I'm taking her computer back today as heading north. I'll tell the owner about the cable.

Comment

what I do when putting records onto the computer is first make a copy of the record on a cassette through my jvc amplifier. because as you know, the output of the turntable is not pre-amplified, but the input to the amplifier does it. once the music is on cassette, I play back the tape and use the mini plug to rca plugs from the playback deck to the mike input on the sound card of the computer. DAK is initiated and the program shows "cue" points on its "scope." when I see the first inkling of music I start the record function. when its finished I save the file in a directory with the mp3 extension. I do this with every song on the tape each piece has its title with the mp3 extension otherwise you get a big huge songfile under one mp3 file which you don't want.

Comment

I use cakewalk to record from lp's through a preamp or from my cassette or reel to reel, directly onto the pc. It's easy to use and lets you trim pops and crackles out between tracks.

It also lets you fill in all the info most people don't know is in the mp3 file (song title that appears on your car stereo is not the file name) as well as track and album names

Comment

I use a Radio Shack 42-2111 Stereo Phono Pre-amplifier that I bought on line about 10 years ago. It uses a 9-volt battery and has 2 RCA jacks in and 2 out. I use WavePad to record with. You can record one side at a time and then go back and chop into individual tracks if you want.

Comment

I'm not a professional musician, so I'm just looking for equipment that sounds like the original LP's but doesn't have to be perfect either.

Whether or not a $20-30 pre amp would do that I don't know. Maybe a low priced Sony reciever might be better. Some of the turntables that records run around $400 which is more than I want to spend.

I don't want to spend more than $200 for equipment and nearer $100 would be better.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =