Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sound (almost)

The sound of the dial up comes through the speakers. (The boop-boop-beap stuff..) By that I would assume they work. However, when opening something with sound (e-mail or web site) there is no sound. I checked the sound controls and nothing is clicked on mute or set to minimum sound. What am I missing?

Is this in win 98 or win xp? my system uses creative soundblaster audigy. might check your media drivers.

Comment

Sound problem.

It's WXP. Interestingly, W98 does not have that problem.

Comment

OK, your motherboard generates an audio signal which is fed to your audio card. If you have any other media playback devices, these have their own drivers. I'd try re-installing the drivers for your audio system and new or updated drivers for your audio card. like I said mine is sound blaster audigy. so I have a disk for the EA console drivers. I use the 5.1 surround setting.

Comment

'puter sound.

Thanks, HayZee, for reminding me that I do have those discs! Must be that old age creeping up...
          I'll try reloading the sound disc 'stuff'.

Comment

if i remember correctly, the modem card has a tiny mini speaker on it so when you log in on the internet it is this sound that you hear. the regular audio card is connected in one of the pca slots. my audigy has four jacks of which three are used plus one usb socket.

Comment

before you start reloading software....

right click the speaker in the lower right corner of your screen
              adjust audio properties
              on the volume (default) tab, click advanced and check your individual controls

~or~

Check you have your speakers connected to the green jack on the back of the pc

~or~

"todays" pc's require powered speakers, where the win98/95 era machines had audio amps built in to the boards. If you upgraded your pc and are still using your non amplified speakers, the sound will be very very hard to hear

Comment

Sound problem...

Hi, pbc. Yes, I did click the sound icon in the lower right and went through all the advance options and verified all was in place. I also tried each of the sound systems available and none worked. The second thing I did in the sequence of verification was to make sure that green plug was in all the way, and in the right port! What's interesting about this sound issue is that I get the 'boop-beep-buzz' through the speakers when the system is connecting. That alone leads me to think (assume) the speakers are connected correctly and do function, but that the sound from the system 'internal's' is arbingated.

Comment

Bob, you said you have a dell 4600. plus an additional soundcard. Look on the back of your machine. there's a rectangular plastic cover. Remove this and you'll see the audio outputs that are an integral part of your motherboard. The jacks are the same color as the sound card minus one jack. plug your speakers green plug into the green jack. now your running off the audio on the motherboard. this way you can verify that it isn't your soundcard. Dell has something called "SoundMax Digital Audio." which is the audio off the motherboard. The system should default to this.

Comment

I missed the part about it being a Dell. I have had nothing but problems with my Dimension 3100 trying to upgrade it. I eventually just turned it into a media server feeding audio to my garage and video to the tv room.

7 pc's networked in the house and the one Dell is the red headed step child.

Comment

I have a dimension 4600c. It's been pretty good to me. I reformatted the hard drive twice already. I find the biggest problem is that the XP2 service pack for win xp slows everything down. the SP1 worked great until I got all these automatic downloads for xp sp2. had a problem with the audio just like capt bob. used my mb audio for a long time till I re-installed the sound blaster's software now everything works. like you I lost my dad in '98 he was 77. my mom went in april of 2006 she was 82

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =