Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help....

Hello, I have a compaq prsario model#5424H, running win xp. Now my problem is I can start the computer up and it works fine for about 10min, and then it get the hiccups and freezes and the only way I can turn it off is by holding the power button. Is there anything I can do to my comp. before it freezes to fix this problem????

my wife has a similar problem. but we're able to work around this. when you press the manual shutdown, the computer reboots the compaq screen comes up and the whole machine freezes. what you do is unplug the machine [don't press the manual shutdown button] plug it back in after ten seconds. THEN press the on-off button. the machine will boot up, go past the compaq screen and will start windows. there's something about the motherboard needing to be reset with power off.

Comment

Desktop with the hiccups

My desktop boots up fine but after 10min it get the hiccups and freezes up. No matter what I try it still does the same thing. Is there anything else I can try?????

Comment

the following may of some concern to you but it involves a little "housekeeping." unplug all your peripherals and unplug the cord from the back of the machine. lay the computer on its side and remove the side plate. look on the processor heat sink. this is a large square finned affair. vacuum off any dust here. the fan is fastened to the heat sink by four phillips head screws. unplug the fan and remove the fan. remove the dust on the heat sink. put the fan back and screw it down and plug it back in. what has probably happened is the dust overheated the processor and the thermal overload tripped freezing your machine. while yer in there blow out any dust you find especially around the fans and in the power supply.

Comment

Computer Hiccups

Now I did what you suggested buy cleaning out the heat sink, and all other componets, but I still have the same problem. I still gets the hiccups R there any other suggestions. Buy the way I really appreciate your help....

Comment

Freeze up...

I had a similar situation with my wife's Dell. HayZee suggested a different power supply. I did as he said, and all is better now. The peripherals were too much of a drain on the as purchased power supply. A larger engine helps propel the stuff much better now.
            (Thanks again, HayZee).

Comment

The only guaranteed way to remove viruses is to reformat and reinstall windows. However there are two things you can try. First reboot and tap the F8 key then select Safe Mode With Networking. Start Internet Explorer, search for Bitdefender Online Scan and run it.

Comment

another really good free program is spybot, search & destroy. a computer consulting firm told me about this proggy. now I run it on both my machines.

Comment

Originally posted by hemeslymartin View Post
                  The only guaranteed way to remove viruses is to reformat and reinstall windows. However there are two things you can try. First reboot and tap the F8 key then select Safe Mode With Networking. Start Internet Explorer, search for Bitdefender Online Scan and run it.
                  Yeah.. but formatting will took some of your time to backup and restore your needed files.. but it is avery advisable tip if your computer has many viruses in it..

Comment

test your pc first

try to run windows stability tests,
                    video stability will show graphics problems
                    everest can heat your procesor ( check 4 overheating)
                    mhdd will test your hdd
                    memtest86+ ( will show ram problems)
                    have nice tests
                    i can always help you diagnose fault for free

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =