Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for a replacement color printer

On 5-5-2007 I had purchased a Samsung CLP300 Laser Jet Printer - I have had several concerns with this printer - and, finally, this past week, gave up on it entirely. It seems that the imaging unit was not functioning correctly.

Therefore, I am looking for a replacement - I would appreciate any input the readers can provide.

I have a HP Lazer Jet P1006 that I use strictly for black and white printing.

Yesterday, I was out running about and stopped at two office supply stores - looking at the HP - CP1215 and the CP1518ni - both are Color Laser Jet printers.

The CP1518n has a provision to utilize memory cards, which I truly don't need since the Sony Digital camera I have uses the 3 1/2" disc. However, just because it is there doesn't mean I have to use it.

The CP1215 -while at the store, I noted a reference that it "scans", but that is not indicated on the data card I brought home, so I am not certain of that.
    No matter, if it does, that might be a useful feature.

Both units will use the USB connection.

I believe there is a $100.00 difference between the two units, but that is not what I want to base my decision on.

I also looked at the HP printers that use the color print cartridges, but I did not bring any data along on them -

I did glance at the Samsung - I believe a CLP315??? - the size was acceptable, but based upon my experience with the CLP300 - I did rule it out - unless I am allowing a bad experience to cloud my judgement.

I am looking for a printer that will REALLY print postcards EASILY and one that will allow me to print envelopes when needed.

I have fits whenever I needed to do either with the HP Laser Jet P1006 as well as when I was using the Samsung CLP300. This is NOT a function I use routinely, but I certainly would like to do so without a hassle when necessary.

The overall size of both units - are well within the measurements I have to stay within - to fit the area it will be assigned.

The CLP 300 had measured - 15" wide - 13 1/2" deep and 9 1/2" high.
    The HP CP1518ni measures - 15" wide - 18" deep and 9 1/2" high.
    The HP CP1215 measures - 14 3/4" wide - 18" deep and 10" high -

10" is the maximum height that will be usable.- and even that I believe I will have to pull the unit away from an upper shelf whenever I really do a print-out, but I believe it will be manageable.

I would appreciate any input that someone would be willing to provide.
    Thank you.

I have gone through my share of printers - I use all inkjet or deskjet printers. the cost of color toner and black toner for a laser printer just plain costs too much. I started with a hewlett packard but the cost of the tri-color printhead went through the roof so I bought a lexmark. this provided excellant color prints, but as before the color print cartridge was expensive. then I bought a canon where the individual color tanks are replaceable. this by far was the best until the printhead went. a replacement was from $56 to $75. so I went back to a hp all in one. I'm thinking of purchasing ink in bulk and use those cappilary tubes that feed ink to the printhead. new printheads from hp cost 17 dollars, remanufactured color heads are about 8 dollars but I can only refill these twice before the color gets streaky. so, your choice of printers is up to you for what you want, what quality and what functions you can live with and without.

Comment

I am looking fro a replacement color printer

Thank you for the information HayZee 518 - I did see your reponse shortly after you had posted. However, I have been trying to locate data concerning some of the printers on the market.

I do agree that the replacement toners for the laser printers are costly -
      therefore - I have been looking for data related to the inkjet or deskjet printers on the market.

As I had noted in my original posting - my major concern would be to find one that WILL do postcards and envelopes when necessary without a lot of do-overs.

I found a website http://askbobrankin.com/which printer should I buy - that addressed your concern about using a refill kit. Part of his entry - "you can buy a refill kit which allows you to inject ink into the empty cartridge with a specailly designed syringe. But beware, this can get really messy. If you're not careful, you can ruin your clothes, carpet and even your printer." I did note the posting was made in May 2007 - so I don't know if the data is currently accurate.

I will actively search for the Canon printer - to see what might be available.

Again, Thank you.

Comment

I have a refill kit that I got from INKSMILE dot com from california. This by far is the easiest outlet for purchasing color remanufactured cartridges and refilling kits. they offer free shipping. I can order on a friday and by wednesday the order is here via usps. I'm going to look into a CISS [continuous ink supply system as I do a lot of color printing.] The hewlett-packard all in one system is easy for loading envelopes for printing. Microsoft's word processor has a mail merge macro for printing envelopes.

Comment

I am looking for a replacement color printer

Again, thank you HayZee518 - and, so the opportunity does not pass by, let me say - Please! Have a Happy Holiday.

I have been involved in my research and have come up with four possibilities -
          I would like to pass them by you and would certainly appreciate your input.

I don't believe I will be able to get out of this area much before Monday - I believe "they" are expecting a decent day on Monday. And, even that is not a matter of "life and death" - I have been able to "make do" with the HP LaserJest P1006, which prints only black.

The following four options have seemed to present themselves.

I had found data on the web concerning the HP Color Laser Jet CP2025 and the HP Color Laser Jet CP1215, which I had mentioned earlier. The CP1215 is 10" high, which might be the best option of the two because it is 10" high - and certainly would nestle comfortably into the area it will be assigned to.

The CP1215 write-up seems to indicate that it will print a multitude of documents - including the 3"x5" - 8" x 14" and envelopes. It would need the USB connection.

The CP2025 is actually 12.7" high and would have to sit to the front area of the desk - because the HP P1006 sits on the shelf above.

I also found two HP InkJet Printers that might be worth considering - The HP OfficeJet Pro K8600 printer - it uses the USB 2.0 connection. It did look interesting, but I did read a "negative" report on the website.

So you don't have to look for it - that "negative" report read - "the K8600 is So thirsty. HP claims it will print up to 2,450 sheets before the black cartridge runs out and 1,700 before the color cartridges run dry. What a joke! I have printed a total of 218 sheets and I had to replace all cartridges and am about to start using my 3rd yellow one!" (That was posted 5-10-2008.) It was the only posting at that site.

I have also found data on the HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 Color InkJet Printer - I believe the connection is for USB 1.0??? - however, another source indicates the connection is for the USB2.0??? No matter, the two HP OfficeJets do work with the Windows XP operating system.

Both of the HP OfficeJet's have a low profile - and I believe will provide the print options I am looking for.

I am open to any suggestions/information that you can provide.

Comment

I am looking for a replacement color printer

I will take a few moments to update this entry.

On Saturday, December 27, 2008, I did get out to do some shopping and I purchased a HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 printer. I also purchased back-up ink cartridges.

The one thing I did not "take care of" was to ask about replacement "print-heads" . The data I had printed out at the time I was researching the printers indicated the K5400 comes with two print-heads. I will assume that one of the print-heads is for the tri-color function.

In HayZee 518's entry of December 7, 2008 he had mentioned that the HP tri-color print heads are costly. I should have remembered that.
            The only saving factor is that I had purchased the K5400 at a ridiculously
            low cost - so, I will "use" that saving to purchase a tri-color print head - at this time - before HP decides to cancel or delete the product/accessories.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =