Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dell laptop power connection has gone bad

I have an older Dell laptop that isn't getting power. The battery never held a charge for long, but now when plugged into the wall, no power. I have several power supplies and have checked for voltage at the connector into the computer and its good at 19.6 V.

So is there an internal fuse somewhere? I know the computer's power connection is connected directly onto the mother board and I'm convinced we have a good connection to it.

Thanks for your help.....Doug

there probably is a fuse inside very small glass type. I have a compaq armada with a fuse. another thing if your power supplies you have tried don't have the "ma" output required then the unit won't boot up. there are latches on your keyboard which allow you to remove the keyboard to examine the underneath just be careful!

Comment

I have an ancient Gateway2000 laptop with a similar problem. The coaxial power jack on the side of the computer is directly soldered to the internal pwb. Over time and use, the solder joint breaks, and in my laptop, became intermittant. It's a lot of work to fix it, so I just set the computer on a table with the pwr cord hanging down to put pressure on the solder joint inside. Try slowly moving your power cord around while monitoring the charge LED on the laptop. I had to hold the cord in each place for a few seconds before the LED came on. The coaxial plug on the end of the charger cord is also a problem area; the wires inside the molded shield break eventually.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I didn't find a fuse yet. I would think if it had one I would have gotten to it by now. Not all the way apart, but you shouldn't need to for a fuse.

We have had the coaxial power cord break at the connection before. I checked and we have a good one. Its at the point to get to the mother board that I doubt I could get it apart or put back together without breaking something.

I'm going to get the battery charged somehow, put it back together and dl what files we want onto a flash. Then get another computer.

Comment

This is a good place to start. A lot cheaper than buying a new Laptop....Google "Laptop guy"

Comment

Check the back and make sure the dc jack is connected to the motherboard

Comment

good recommendation, I think it will help you D5oug.
              Excuse me, I've also a question, recently I installed Kadwin, and after it my computer started to restart, I can't do anything. Please help me, should I format my computer or there are other solution?

Comment

first of all, what is KADWIN? Nearest I can see it is a genealogical tracing program. It shouldn't take over your machine unless you have limited RAM, then it will use the virtual memory. get back to me. Oh and please remove all references to your water softener and swimming pool business. these a free ads which we don't allow.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =