Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High speed and ethernet ignorant...

Have an opportunity to now advance to the new age of high speed Internet! Yay! Except...the phone company installed a Seimans wireless router to my existing Dell Dimension 4600 and could not get it to work. There is a yellow ethernet cable going to the back of the new unit and the back of the 4600. I tried downloading Dell info for a new driver as I was instructed, but can't seem to find what I need. There's a constant request for a file e100b325.sys that should be loaded from the cache file (whatever that is) but I cannot find it anywhere, even on the internet. Which I'm reluctant to load anything from... . So...a call to Dell tells me to acquire an ethernet-to-USB-port cable and that will solve my problems. This is using the new Seimans wireless router.
    Then I can cancel my old PeoplePC and go with the new Frontier high speed service.
    I guess.

Will this solve the problem? A cable? Or do I need a wireless 'card'? Is that something I can buy and install myself?

when I hooked up to time warner cable and high speed broadband I had the option of a wireless router but I opted to go with a wired router. a wireless transmits a signal to a receiver/transmitter which plugs into a spare usb port on your machine. the router communicates with this "new" port. my cable modem has an rj45 a cat 5E cable that goes between the router and the lan card on the computer. for digital phone I have a rj11 that connects my phone to the modem.

Comment

A wireless router usually has provisions for wired ethernet connections as well, both Cat 5 and USB cables. Wireless is good for laptops, or you can get a wireless PCI card for a desktop computer. Cat 5 is the best way to go; it sounds like you are connected that way. USB connections are slower. Do you know if the ethernet card (or NIC) is working? Go to Start/Run and enter cmd & Enter. Type ipconfig /all to see the NIC address and any network connections. (to get out of this window, type exit & Enter). You could also go to the Device Manager on your PC and see if the network card shows up there and has a driver installed. The file you mentioned may be for that.

Comment

The e100b435.sys is a driver for an Intel NIC (see Network Connectivity - Creating a network adapter driver install disk). It should already be on your computer somewhere like C:/windows/system32. If you bought your Dell new, it should have come with an installation disk for the NIC. Otherwise, you can download the software from Intel.

Comment

High speed access success

It works!! YAY! The GM from Frontier phone service came out today and looked the system over. I had downloaded several things, one was from Intel as suggested, but I could NOT get it to recognize that e100b325.sys file! Even though I verified it's existance on my computer! Well, this guy clicks on 'repair' where I was using 'modify'. Eureka! We have lift off! I am now in the space age with high speed internet, wireless capability annnnd a FREE Dell mini-laptop!! Life is good!
          Thanks everybody for all the great help!!!

Comment

All is not lost Bob! Glad we were able to help out!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =