Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
    CD's are a good backup device, but won't last forever. I've heard differering views on their longevity, but would hate to need one just after it's shelf life went kaput.

I backup my business data every day. It gets put on the server at work. Then Saturday, we put the weeks work on a flash drive which I take home and put on another computer for further back up. Now I have it on the server, the flash drive for a week and on an off premise computer. I feel pretty safe that way and it has saved me several times.
    CDs have an archival life span of over one hundred years. Now if you are doing a lot of back ups CDs are not the way to go. Again buy a couple of flashdrives and a few CDs to store important info.

Comment

flashdrives are great. Just keep them away from magnets. I even back up my main flashdrive in case I lose it
      I had never thought of that. Does the magnet mess up the drive or just erase the digits?

CDs have an archival life span of over one hundred years. Now if you are doing a lot of back ups CDs are not the way to go. Again buy a couple of flashdrives and a few CDs to store important info.
      I always heard that CD's didn't have that long of a shelf life, which would make 100 years see almost unbelievable. But I don't use them for much, so I wouldn't know either way.

Comment

I would utilize a flash drive as your daily backup but for the weekly backups or monthly backups I would recommend to back up to another computer or web storage. That way if the flash drive is damaged, you have an extra full back up that you can utilize for restoration.

Mozy and Dropbox offer free services for web storage. I beleive they also offer paid services for bigger storage.

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Comment

At my business, we do a backup each night, on Friday, my assistant puts the backups on a Thumb drive and I take it home. I put it on another computer there so we have multiple backups in different locations. It has saved me twice so far.

Comment

If a flash drive gets scratched it won't stop working.

Comment

If a flash drive gets scratched it won't stop working.
              You should see mine. It's all scratches.

The computer geek next door to my shop said he ran his through the washing machine twice and it still works.

Comment

To say I shoot a lot of photos would be an understatement. When Jan & I go out on one of our photo walkabouts, which typically happens two or three times a week, I average shooting 500 photos for the day while she averages about another 300, all of which are shot in RAW mode, which leaves me with extremely large photo files.

In fact, my file for "Old Sturbridge village" is currently in excess of 14gigs.

According to the computer I now have somewhere around 125,000 photos.

For archive backups I have two 320gb ext. hard drives, a 1.5tb ext. and a small 100gb ext. that will fit in a shirt pocket.

I then not only have the files I am working on the computer, but I have all my files on at least two externals for archive storage. I figure if even one of the two fails, I can still recover the files from the other.

Ext. hard drives are extremely cheap on Ebay. Just out of curiosity I just looked and there are hundreds of 1tb & 1.5tb USB plug&play type for about $100 to $130 on the buy it now price, and even better prices if you want to do the bidding thing.

you can get a 100gig mini that will fit in a shirt pocket for about $35-$40.

i don't keep the externals connected all the time. Instead, I connect them long enough to upload or download files to or from the external as needed, then I disconnect it. In this manner, if I should get a virus on my machine, the ext. is still safe, so I can cleanup the machine then download my files back to the machine.

Comment

Flash drives hold much more and are easier to use. Not many people use CDs any more for backup it is mostly ext HDD and flash drives. With any backup you should always have more than one copy of your data. At a minimum two copies. Three is better but alot depends on how often your data changes. Always keep a copy at a different location.

Comment

Flash can work great for backups as long you have enought room on the drive for everythng you want to backup.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =