Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapcon Screws into brick

I am installing a Sanus VLG-220 full motion TV mount on a brick wall in the house.

The mounting bracket barely spans the bricks so I can drill holes in the middle of the brick. With that said I am about 1/2 from the edge of the brick and mortar.

Ideally i should be right in the middle of the brick so there would be zero chance that the screw would expand and fracture the brick.....

I am thinking the surrounding mortar will provide support to prevent this from happening.....to the brick. ( of course i am not drilling or anchoring into the mortar as i have seen knuckheads do).

The mount plus the TV will weigh 64lbs.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Here i go again replying to my own messages. I could just drill additional holes inito the bracket, cut a notch with the hack saw to enable access to drill other holes into the backet thus allowing at least an inch further into the brick.

I love this forum!!!

Comment

the tapcon doesn't expand when its driven into place. look at the threads of the screw. one set of threads is dominent over the other one. when you drill the proper sized hole the threads bite into the brick or concrete and self thread themselves into the medium.

Comment

Well I guess my real question should be: is a 1/2" distance fro the edge of the brick afford the screw enough holding power?

Comment

Yes and no, Tapcon themselves don't recommend that close an attachment point, however I have done it one many many occasions and never had a failure. Drill inwards and install the Tapcons inwards, you don't need much of an angle.
          I'd also add I have added mounting points (drilled new holes) in many TV mounting brackets as well with a perfect track record.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

the load will be a static one, that is not moving. check out which tapcon fastener size offers the best shear strength and go with it. if the head is out from the brickface more than one inch I wouldn't trust it. RAWL-PLUGS , lead sleeve type fasteners I would trust more. they have a machine thread inside. HILTI thunder studs I would go with next.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =