Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porch/balcony repair

I have a 100 year old house with a balcony that is sinking down on the porch beneath. I think the outside corner is about 4 inches too low. There are 5 posts the inside corner is in 1 inch concrete siding and also the the other end is also in concrete siding. My problem is the 3 posts that support the upstairs balcony are all sinking and breaking the porch decking below. I seem to have a very good foundation wall but the 3 posts are not on top of the wall only partially, the wood is extremely heavy and tongue and groove in most places (no lodgepoll studs here). I need some help as i will be doing this myself. Cannot afford anyone else. Need help with the bracing and security issues. I can send pics if some one will tell me how!!

Thanks

DMM

balcony

Everything relates to the base of the structure. If the ground is sinking, your foundation will also sink. Firstly I'd check the drainage, that is draining AWAY from the house. Chances are there is no drain tile around your foundation. That would be my first option to check. If the soil underneath is sandy, then it must be bolstered with coarse gravel so water drains away from the house. If your house was built over a live spring, you have problems. The spring may need to be re-directed around the house. As far as bracing the porch, 12 or 16 foot 2X10's sistered, with a bird's mouth cut in the top end to fit the porch roof and an angle cut at the foot, resting on a 2X12 wood piece. This is sledge hammered into place
    to support the upper floor so you can fix what's underneath it. Go at the brace gradually over a length. Don't whack it into place at one spot.

Comment

Where are you located? what is your soil type, clay, rock, sand etc...?
      Pictures would be fantastic if you have some ?
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

You definitely have to start at the bottom - literally - Ground, basement, material...it might be you have to do an overall renewal, that's the only long-term solution.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =