Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay window

Trying to figure out how to support the weight. It is a replacement application but I'm tearing down to the studs, standard 2X4 construction. Going to put in a 45 degree angle bay aout 7' long & 4' tall. Comes with a cable support but how does that work? do I attach the top of the cable support to the ceiling stringers or is it adequate to attach to the header of the rough opening? It seems flimsy and over time I fear it will pull away from the house.

I had a pella bow window installed and the cables were attached to the roof rafter tails, they removed all my alumimum soffit covering and the wood above to install the cables. Then they had to cut all the aluminum soffit trim to fit under the soffits as it was now smaller due to the window comming out so far. Here's a link that describes how Pella does it. http://www.pella.com/resources/pdf/PL_BowBay.pdf Bows and bays tend to sag over time and building knee wall supports underneath can also be a good idea. These cables can be tightend in the future if it does sag.

You'll need another hand to help you with this installation, it took 2-3 guys most of the day doing mine cause they had to not only recut all the soffit material and install it, but they also had to patch drywall on the inside because of the size being slightly different and they installed all new inside window trim. The trim work inside was alot of work but turned out great, wider trim made it look like a picture in the room.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =