X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tudor
    replied
    Hi, I also just found this intro thread. I work for a little Wall Street firm covering stocks and bonds, but my first love is real estate. My best friend and I got started by gutting (we only found out that was what it was years later) a summer bungalow in the Catskills and making it into a year-round house. Many object lessons over the years there! Now I'm rehabbing a brick row house in Philly, a city that probably has the most helpful tradespeople I've ever met. I'm really pleased to have found this site which has been helpful for all phases of projects and in emergencies too.

Leave a comment:

• SpottyFish
    replied
    Just joined this site, and I'm happy to have found it! My husband and I just bought our first house (well, condo). We love working on projects, so we bought one that needed a bit of updating.

I have a B.S. in Kinesiology and work full time as a physical therapy aide, but I'm taking a couple classes each term so I can apply for nursing school. In my "spare" time, or lack thereof, I do the accounting for a restaurant that my husband and I own. So, school... work... accounting... house stuff...I'm definately not lacking in things to do.

Our first major project was started yesterday. We tore off some wood paneling, then opted to just replace the drywall that was underneath. Unfortunately we found a bit of old dryrot/termite damage in one of the studs, so the project is on hold until we can contact the HOA...studs are their responsibility. At least we found no moisture (it was pouring yesterday too) and no insects.

Our next project will be done this spring...we need to hire a plumber to relocate the plumbing for our washer into a closet. Right now the washer & dryer are in our small galley kitchen. Not a good spot.

Anyway, hope that intro wasn't too long-winded. I look forward to learning from everyone!

Leave a comment:

• daniel2229
    replied
    Hello from Bellbrook, OH

My name is Dan, and I am an eighth grade LA / Reading teacher of 36 years. I also teach graduate computer classes to our staff through the University of Dayton and have a desktop publishing job on the side doing yearbooks.

Our district is poor and the pay is the lowest in the county, so my wife and I have always had to learn how to do house repair jobs from books or by trial and error.

My experience is very much like a wide and shallow river. With the exception of house painting and deck building for more than 20 summers ( don't all teachers paint houses in the summer? ), I have done some jobs only once. Maybe for a good reason.

The most satisfying job my wife and I have done together was building the stone fireplace in our family room when we built 16 years ago. We picked out the rock from a "stone store" and hauled it home in the back of our poor van. Then we laid out the design on the floor in front of the fire place. After securing the screen on the wall, my wife handed me each stone while I attached it to the wall with grout. We'd put up two rows a day. When all was done, we finish grouted it with one of those squeeze bags and our bare fingers! About a quarter through the job, we noticed we didn't have any finger prints. I didn't know that rich mortar contains lots of lye in it! We switched to plastic gloves for the rest of the job. I still laugh on occasion of how stupid I can be!

I also like to build furniture and refinish antiques. Right now I am refining some painting techniques to make things look old. It's tricky at times but rewarding too.

This site is great. I just stumbled on it the other day and will probably spend a fair amount of time here.

Daniel

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Originally posted by Doorguy06 View Post
    Hello,

My name is Bill. I was an automechanic for 5 years straight out of highschool before I got into my current trade which is garage door installations and repairs. I also diagnose and repair all brands of electric operators as well. I will be doing this for another two years until my schooling is done and will pursue a career as a Policeman.

Great site, have learned alot about various projects from reading and hope to help out some along the way.

Thanks
    Nice to have you on board, welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• Doorguy06
    replied
    Hello,

My name is Bill. I was an automechanic for 5 years straight out of highschool before I got into my current trade which is garage door installations and repairs. I also diagnose and repair all brands of electric operators as well. I will be doing this for another two years until my schooling is done and will pursue a career as a Policeman.

Great site, have learned alot about various projects from reading and hope to help out some along the way.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• bdcool
    replied
    Hey

Well I'll probably do a lot more question asking than answering, but if I'm sure about something I'll chime in. I'm a 42 year old professional engineer with a degree in civil engineering from the University of Kentucky, (Go Big Blue!). I work for a company that does roadway work and large excavation projects. I love to do mechanical work, wood work, and anything with my hands. Also love to ride the Harley. Have 3 girls, 4 counting my wife, LOL. I took 2 years of carpentry in high school and worked as a framer for a couple of years after that then went to college. My grandfather was a carpenter and mechanic. I usually try to do all my home repairs but like to ask questions. Nice to hear from you all, and I appreciate the knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• Glasshousebltr
    replied
    I just found the intro thread.....so you can call me Sherlock.

I'm Bob. I'm 42... I started in the biz so far back I'm not really sure of the year. However, I'm pretty sure it was 78 when my father first started paying me, but he still made me split the gas with him.

I did the 2 year college thing...Marketing...Real estate...however my major was wild women. I also did 2 years in a Military Academy in an attempt to redirect my priorities....Go figure.

I've been up and down the biz like 2 Arabs trying to buy a 7/11. From a pencil to a shovel, I almost hit 7 figures twice, both followed by a nasty divorce...another go figure

Now I'm down to 2 fellas and me, but I'm kinda liken it that way. I sell and us three go do....keeps it pretty simple.

The forum looks great, I'll be sure to visit often before I get the boot.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Shenewf
    replied
    I am an office worker however my passion is hands on type work...flooring carpentry a bit of simple electrical and plumbing. I will try most anything. I am currently building my back deck. I also work solo...

Leave a comment:

• leodlion
    replied
    Hi, my name is Leo. I learned whatever I know from trial and error, by necessity, and by observing service people who come by to fix something in the house.

I am a chemical engineer by profession, a computer programmer, food technologist, process engineer in the course of my work life. I am glad to help anybody.

Leave a comment:

• Distinctivescenes
    replied
    New Member, Muralist/Faux Finisher

Hello,
    I just found this site and find it quite interesting. I am a certified muralist and faux finisher, decorative painter, stencilist, ... your basic all around home decorator. I will also do straight painting, typically when there is also some faux finishing or murals also involved. I have been in the business for 3 years. Thanks to TV shows like Trading Spaces and Design on a Dime, etc. my type of work has become much more popular over the last few years. I went to school at Decorating Masters Institute, Inc. in Fort Myers, FL and received 3 certifications. Two were in faux finishing and one in murals. I enjoy my work very much. Jan Distinctive Scenes

Leave a comment:

• Troy
    replied
    Originally posted by Piper
    Hi, My name is Eric, I have 27 years in the building trades. My primary trade is plumbing and heating, hence the nickname Piper. I get satisfaction from helping others if and when I can. Sometimes I need advice too.

Plumbing, HVAC, Building construction, Electrical and Site development.

God Bless You All,
    Eric
    Nice to have you here, Piper. Welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• Piper
    replied
    Hi, My name is Eric, I have 27 years in the building trades. My primary trade is plumbing and heating, hence the nickname Piper. I get satisfaction from helping others if and when I can. Sometimes I need advice too.

Plumbing, HVAC, Building construction, Electrical and Site development.

God Bless You All,
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• alyssa
    replied
    My name is Alyssa, niceto meet everyone.

I just moved into a new home in FL. I have three kids, a Husband and a crazy dog. I am trying to get better with DIY projects and gardening. Glad to meet everyone and I look forward to talking with you!

Leave a comment:

• ColonelPanik
    replied
    Panik attack!

What a great site, I am getting so smart it scares me!

At the age of 60 I bought my first place, been a nomad.
    Working as a groundskeeper now, been in the building maint. field off
    and on for 40 years.
    Communities, computers and expatriate life are my main interest but I am easily distracted.

I can't believe I found this site, some clever people on this site.
    Thank you for all the great information you took time to post, good people here.

Leave a comment:

• X Y Scaling
    replied
    Better late than never...

Been registered for several months now, just didn't see this topic.

I taught high school math for 30 years at the same high school here in Fort Walton Beach, FL. Still here, retired now.

Always have been interested in electronics and I got my ham radio license while in high school in Springfield,Tennessee. I was the only guy in the dorm at Middle Tennessee State College back in the 1960s with a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax speakers.

Enjoyed working at Circuit City for three years since my teaching days. Only problem was that they wanted me to sell, sell, sell, while I wanted to educate folks on the new technology but not sell stuff to them that they didn't eally need. Knowhatimean?

I'm also into digital photography, and Linda , my wife, and I do photo sessions of families at the beach during the summer.

You will find my picture on this site here:

doing what I enjoy most...

This site has helped me learn all kinds of stuff about my home projects. I do appreciate it very much.
    regards, Tom
    Last edited by X Y Scaling; 01-28-2006, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
=