Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window repair help...

Hi,

I have an aluminum vertical slide window (double hung?) which is falling apart and would like to know if it could be fixed or has to be replaced.

The two metal rails (with spring and pulleys) which fit into either side of the track came loose and am not sure if it could be put back together or can I get a replacement for it. BTW, what is it called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- matt

The part you are describing is called a balance they are marked on the side with a # that represents the size and weight. You should be able to find them locally at any retailer that does replacement glass or try a search engine to purchase online. If you need help with the removal I can help. They are fairly simple.

Comment

I could sure use an explanation of how to remove and replace the balance.

Comment

Matt,

I found the following information link which might help you... http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35694621

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

The link that Jimmer listed seems to be for the old wooden style windows. Does anyone know a link for the aluminum type. I have the same problems with the balance

Comment

I have purchased balances for several aluminum windows. They will have to be modified somewhat where they attach to the underside of the window. No problem with that. My problem is getting the balances into the slots at the sides of the windows and attaching them to the windows without them "unwinding." Any tips? Thank you.
            quote:Originally posted by papa7451

The part you are describing is called a balance they are marked on the side with a # that represents the size and weight. You should be able to find them locally at any retailer that does replacement glass or try a search engine to purchase online. If you need help with the removal I can help. They are fairly simple.

Comment

How do I remove balances

Originally posted by papa7451
              How do I remove the balances?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =