Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Roof

We purchased our house in August of 2002. The previous owner was a 90 year old widow. Last night, we had some heavy rain which caused a leak somewhere in the roof that dripped through the beams to my newly renevated kitchen (I live in a Cape style home). We were told that there was a leak before we bought the home but it was repaired. On the roof over the kitchen there is some globs of tar that supposedly fixed the problem. The roof on the house is only about 15 years old and it is a double layer. My husband and I crawled into the crawl space above the kitchen to see if we could find the leak, but everything appears to be dry. Does someone have any other suggestions on how to trace this leak? The water is flowing between 2 seams of sheetrock, and then it began dripping from our ceiling fan which is several feet from the affected sheetrock. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Locating a roof leak can be a very frustrating job because once the water penetrates through the shingle layer it may run horizontally on the decking until if finds a seam, or once below the decking it may adhere to the trusses or rafters by surface tension and move a great distance horizontally before actualy dripping down to a ceiling where it would be noticable.

Keep in mind that the leak in the roof must be either directly above the point where its noticed or uphill on the roof pitch from that point.

Look for the obvious first. Loose, damaged or missing shingles.

Flashings around chimneys, plumbing vents, electrical service entrance conduits or any object that passes through the roof.

Peaks and valleys where two portions of the roof line meet at an angle.

Carefully examing the shingles themselves. You stated the roof is 15 yrs old. While there are 35yr shingles available, 15 or 20 yr shingles are more typical in contractor grade construction and your roof may be nearing the end of its anticipated lifespan.

A double layer indicates the roof has been replaced once. Most local codes that I have dealt with will allow three layers then you must remove the exisiting shingles to apply a new roof.

Comment

Hi..my roof is in waves..that is the boards..big rain in Las Vegas.
      how hard is it to do this.
      do i need a real pro to do this..Any hints as to what kind of a roofing person to hire to do this..Thanks..Carol

Comment

Working...
      X
      =