Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so slow

Is it only me or is it slow to log onto this forum and then move around. I'm on dial-up, but still, I don't have this problem going onto any other sites on the net, only this one. Seems like it takes forever for the main page to load up and then once it does, getting into the different subjects is almost as bad. Sometimes I just go away and come back and try it later, but still not much of a change.

So, is anyone else having this problem and what the heck is causing it?

When's the last time you did a cache clear?

Comment

Is it just recently that you have noticed the slowness, or has it been for a while now? It is just occasionally or is it all the time? If there is a speed problem with the site, I need to know about it. I just have to figure out if it is on your end, the server's end or the bandwidth in between. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Anyone else notice a problem?

Try
      Try

Comment

It's running fine here on a dial up.....

Comment

Well, my cathe is clear so I don't think that's the problem. It's basically 50% of the time that it happens. Now today, it loaded up fine and fast with no delay. But somedays and sometimes it just won't load at all. I don't think it's me cause I don't have the problem anywhere else. It has been happening on and off for quite some time, like months, but it seems to be happening more often lately. So, I don't know what else to tell you, just thought I'd inquire about it cause it's been a real pain lately and thought maybe there was a reason for it. Hope this helps. I'll try and post here when it's really slow, if I can that is

Comment

Troy,

I encountered a similar situation on two occessions within the last two weeks. The most recent was yesterday (March 8 @ approx. 10AM EST)

I normally call up the site via a bookmark on my brower and on two occassions after a considerable wait I recieved an error screen saying "No data available".

In both instances the condition only lasted about thirty minutes then i was able to log in in the normal manner. At the time I attributed to the possibility that you were performing some kind of system service and it might have been temporarily off line.

My system here is an Emachines 2.8gig with 512ram, This is the Primary machine on a home network with a Lynksys 4 port router. OS=Windows XP, Browser= Netscape. (cache and cookies manually emptied daily, virus scan and spyware removal three times a week). I also run the "Ghost Surf" firewall through anonymous hubs to mask my IP address from hackers, so that could have been part of the problem.

I also participate in the "This old House" forum and they are having a similar problem with their site. In fact, many ppl are reporting they cannot access it 50% of the time, so I think the overall problem may be linked to high traffic time on the WWW.

Comment

There is a little line of information at the bottom of the page, for instance this page says "This page was generated in 0.05 seconds." If the server is performing correctly, then that number should definitely be < 1 second, really less than .1 seconds. Next time it is slow, please post of email this line to me, it will help me figure out if it is a server issue or bandwidth user. These forums are very database intensive, so when there are many of you visiting at once, it can be taxing on the server.

Thanks for all of the information!

Try
              Try

Comment

I've got a Dell 4600C with a 74 gig hard drive and 512 of RAM. I run an internal firewall and a pop up stopper. I use macaffee for virus protection on-line all the time. My home repair is off an entry in the "Favorites" shortcut.
                I use strictly a 56K dialup.

Comment

We have made a lot of changes over th past few months. The site is much faster now. Anyone still having trouble?

Try
                  Try

Comment

I think it is better. I don't go to doityourself.com so much anymore because it is SOOOOOOO........SLOOOOOW.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =