Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Flooded by Katrina

The questions I have are concerning mold. We have already pulled sheetrock from 3 feet down. I know that a black board is used around the outside of the house except on the corners.

Does this black board need to be pulled and replaced before going back with the sheetrock? This would be a very involved job. We have a brick exterior. We would have to support the roof and pull all of the studs out to change it out. Does this have to be done or is there a way around this.

Also, what is the best way to kill the mold thay has already started to grow? Does bleach kill it, I have read about ozone and some bioside. I am open for any suggestion.

Thanks
    Penny

I am not an expert on mold, but I have heard that the mold itself is harmless. What happens is if one colony of mold detects that another is near they release spores which drift in the air and land on the enemy mold (Chemical Warfare Huh?) and if we breath these spores, that is when we get repritory problems. When ever I get a job that has a mold problem, I ask a pro to do the job for me. I would sugest that you not disturb it untill a qualified person can tell you how to handle it. Trying to remove anything may trigger the mold to release spors.
    Here is a link from Google that may help
    If you think a professional is expensive,
    Just see what till you see what an amature will cost you!!

Comment

EPA website also has some usefull info on mold

Comment

While i know it will be more time and money its probably better to repair the wood and get rid of all the mold. As mentioned the mold itself may not pose a problem itself but it can still cause problems.

We just sold our house and they brought in a mold sniffing dog. More people are worried about mold and the affects it can have so a problem not dealt with now can still be a pain later. My parents have mold and water damage in their house and the insurance company is fighting them on the claim.
        Alyssa Anders
        Modular Homes information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =