Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kneewall?

Currently, my front door opens directly into my living room in the corner of the room. I'd like to build a 4' x 8' kneewall in the room just past the door and attached to the inside of the exterior wall to give me a small "mud" area as you walk into the house.

Couple of questions:

The house is on a concrete slab so would wedge anchors be enough to secure the "sill plate" of the new wall into the concrete and what would be the best way to ensure that the top of the far "unsupported" end stays steady? Afraid of it, over time, loosening up and moving whenever any horizontal load is put on it.
    The wall could only be a max. of 3" wide because of other limitations.

Thanks for any help,
    Dan

Fasteners made by "HILTI" called thunder studs would be your best bet. They are a bolt type stud with a tapered end and a collar. You drill a hole in the concrete right through your plate and drive the stud in with a hammer. Apply a washer and a nut supplied and tighten up on the stud. The collar gets wedged in the concrete and draws the stud upward and the taper expands the collar against the concrete walls. They are available in all bolt sizes up through 1 inch

Comment

home depot sells the same type fastener.
      though i'm sure they're not called "thunder studs"
      but they may be easier to aquire there.

Comment

The box says HILTI Thunder Studs - I got about five different sizes here.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =