Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an inclined writing surface desk

Hello,

I'm about to restart grad school, and am getting some furniture together for study purposes.

If you would, please go visit the website www.levenger.com. Then, go to Furniture, then Desks, then look at the Student's Editor's desk. This is a product I've long admired for its simplicity and functionality.

The trouble is the price. I'm too cheap to pay $98 for something like this that looks so simple, for lack of a better word.

Does anyone know if plans exist for something like this product?

For less than $98, with the right plan and some assistance from my woodworking great-uncle, I could have a nice item made with good materials that I could use and cherish, as well as having the satisfaction of doing something myself.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

I haven't a clue where to look for plans but that looks like a rather simple piece.

The dimensions are posted in the ad, why not make your own plans?

I am attaching a drawing that should give you a small heads up to work out a final plan.

I would consider using 1x6 hardwood stock (Maple, cherry, oak etc) and make an 18" x 18" glue up for the basic table.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 12-18-2006, 03:40 PM.

Comment

you could build, say a trestle table with a plywood board for the work surface, hinged so that it can be adjusted for tilt. To keep that tilt at the right angle , cut a semi circular piece of wood with a flat side (like a protractor) fasten this flat side to the table bottom and use a router and cut a semi circular groove along the curved part. Now use a 5/16" bolt ( carriage bolt) a washer and a wing nut to keep the angle.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup View Post
        I haven't a clue where to look for plans but that looks like a rather simple piece.

The dimensions are posted in the ad, why not make your own plans?

I am attaching a drawing that should give you a small heads up to work out a final plan.

I would consider using 1x6 hardwood stock (Maple, cherry, oak etc) and make an 18" x 18" glue up for the basic table.

That drawing is very helpful. I didn't catch it the first time I viewed the replies, though. But it will give me something else to show my uncle.

You must be some kind of genius to have figured it out.

The idea of doing this really excited him. He made several trial sketches and said we could make a cardboard mockup before cutting any wood.

Thank you once again for your help.

-Bill
        William Killeffer
        East Ridge, TN

Comment

In all honesty the print was not in my original post. It was an afterthought that I tinkered with then edited the post to add it.

Now in regards to genius. While one might like to think of himself in those terms here again such is not the case. I think all of the skilled tradesmen who participate in this forum would agree that as a tradesmen or tradeswoman we spend a lifetime looking at two dimentional building prints and visualizing a finished three dimensional product. In this case it was a simple matter to reverse the process.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =