Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Window locks

Hi,
    I just found your forum via Google. In reviewing the posts, I found nothing that gave me any info or help in my current problem!! Last night I went to unlock the window of my living room bay window; the lever just fell out into my hand. To unlock the window, you lift up on the lever; this in turn move the locking bar down and moves the plastic knobs out of the hooks that are on the window itself; thus unlocking the window!! I can find no brand name anywhere so I can't even let you know who made the product!! My problem is "how can I unlock the window" so I can then replace the locking lever? Once I open the window, there are 2 screws outside the frame but they are covered when the window is shut. I prefer not to tear-up window of framing if at all possible!!
    I found nothing in the "hole" that the lever came out of that allowed me to unlock it (possibly once the lever came out, the bar fell down into the casing)!! Nothing I do seems to unlock the window!!
    Thanks very much for any assistance you might be able to give me!!

Sincerely,
    Mike H

can you supply us with a picture? Can you find out who made the window [pella, andersen etc]

Comment

Hi HayZee518,
      Thanks for your reply!!! I have looked everywhere on the window for a manufacturers name and found nothing!! The only thing I was able to find was a name on the lock & wind out mechanism; TRUTH with a diagram of a house. I also found a couple of #s stamped in 2 different pieces of the locking mechanism; 45081 is on the locking leaver that came off & 31402 is on a part that the leaver connects to that moved the "locking bar" up & down! As for a picture, I don't have a camera so I did a drawing that may give you an idea of what I have! The Bay Window has 5 panes, the 2nd from both ends opens. The small rectangular box on the frame between the middle window & the 2nd is the internal locking housing. This in mounted tight against the frame; 2 screws are used on the outside to mount this box......the screws are covered over by the closed window so the can't be accessed.

I have try to place a thin tool (putty knife) between the frame & the window and can feel the internal locking bar! I've tried hitting on the tool with a rubber hammer thinking this would drop the locking bar, but with no luck!! As the locking mechanism locks the window it also pulled the window tight against the frame for security & weather proofing!

I hope this might give you a better Idea of what I have & am up against!! Thanks in advance fo any assistance or ideas you can offer!!!

Mike

Comment

Window Lock

Although I haven't seen the lock, here's an idea of how it works. In the center is a toggle over center pivot which pushes two bars outwards pivoting the lock bars them selves. There has to be a screw, bolt or a rivet that fell out into the window mechanism casing. Maybe the handle is made of white metal which was "spin riveted" to the center toggle and the riveted over part broke. I'll go look at several sites for a lock mechanism. check out www dot rockler dot com. This company supplies window and cabinet hardware.

Comment

Hi HayZee518,
          I have found a lock that is very similar to mine @ blainewindow dot com/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=6339&compid=1. The only difference is mine is on the opposite side. My lever fell out so I can't unlock the window to open it then replace or repair my existing lock! My Primary concern is how do I unlock the window since the lever fell out? There is nothing in the hole where the lever use to be. I can look at my 2nd window for how the pieces go together. My guess is that a spring clip fell of the lever that held the pieces together. Once I open the window, I expect to find the clip & the other part. But I can't get the window unlocked!! I was hoping that someone knew the way to unlock with out damaging the window or hardware that I have. I appreciate all your time & effort.....Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =