Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solatube .. Opps!

Our living room was rather dark so I had a 15" Solatube installed which made everything 150% better.. UNTIL.. we installed a big screen TV / home theater system in the same room...
    Sunlight is great but not when you are trying to watch a movie.. I know that Solatube makes an electronic shutter that you can install within the tube to shut off the light when desired BUT...running a power lead to the fixture is out of the question due to home construction.. Am looking for products or ideas that would permit us to darken the room when we want and return it to full sunlight brightness when not watching TV. The tube ceiling lens mounts on a vaulted ceiling so one must stand on a step ladder to reach it...

Buy expensive blinds that have a long stick to insert on side to open or close the blind. Store stick device in the corner or in closet. I have seen this in an embassy on an upper window. Blind should last 20+ years.

Comment

Easy smeasy, cut out a piece of cardboard or ply (take ya pick, I make mine from ply and paint it ceiling white) and get yourself a strip of those stick on magnets the ones that have double sided tape on them lowe's have them as does HD. Attach the magnets to match up with the magnets on the solar tube diffuser. This way you can just put it on or off as required.
      I've installed maybe 30 of the tubes now. I make them for clients on request.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

You could even do curtains which wouldn't be very expensive if you get creative. Or you could go the blind route like another person suggested but usually more expensive if nice.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =