Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watts, Volts and Amps compared

Hope you don't mind me writing this, but the way we used to teach mechanics in the Navy how to visualize the Ohm's Law relationship was this. The voltage applied to a wire is like the pressure put out by a pump, the current in the line is like the flowrate of a liquid through a pipe, and the resistance of a load is like valve position. Therefore the amount of current in a circuit can be equated to the voltage (pressure) applied, and the resistance (valve position) of the load.

So, if you want more power, apply more voltage (raise pressure) for a given load which will raise current, or reduce the resistance of the load (open the valve more) which will also raise current.

Comment

Originally posted by wraithe
      Hope you don't mind me writing this, but the way we used to teach mechanics in the Navy how to visualize the Ohm's Law relationship was this. The voltage applied to a wire is like the pressure put out by a pump, the current in the line is like the flowrate of a liquid through a pipe, and the resistance of a load is like valve position. Therefore the amount of current in a circuit can be equated to the voltage (pressure) applied, and the resistance (valve position) of the load.

So, if you want more power, apply more voltage (raise pressure) for a given load which will raise current, or reduce the resistance of the load (open the valve more) which will also raise current.
      That's how I learned it in HS. Makes it way more visual and easy to remember.

Comment

Volts, Amps, Resistance, Power

A similar chart used for calculating volts, amps and resistance

Comment

Working...
        X
        =