Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here. Whirlpool RF378PXG sealed cook top hot surface light stays on....

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here. Whirlpool RF378PXG sealed cook top hot surface light stays on....

First off, Hey there, I am new to this forum, but not forums, on DIY home repair and improvement. Been fixing stuff around the house for longer than a lot of the more recent home owners have been alive...

I am however, stuck. I have a Whirlpool RF378PXG sealed cooktop electric range, and the hot surface light now stays on.

What I would like to is if anyone can give me a link to perhaps some expanded diagrams of what exactly is under that cooktop, and a clue as to what I should be checking, what I should be checking it for, and what it looks like would help...

Thanks,

Dave...

Model number incomplete

Whirlpool [range model] RF378PXG
    That model number is incomplete by 1-2 digits. Please double check the information as printed right on the appliance's model and serial number identification tag.

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Finder

[Can] anyone can give me a link to some expanded diagrams
    Once you get the complete model number off the range you can find illustrated exploded parts views at the following link.

LINK > Whirlpool RF378PXG... Exploded Parts Views

the hot surface light now stays on
    That light is controlled by the thermal limiters (see the following link) mounted on the elements. One of them is likely shorted and needs to be replaced.

LINK > Element Thermal Limiter Example

Depending on the actual range model, that limiter may not be available separately in which case the whole element containing the malfunctioning limiter would probably have to be replaced to correct the condition. The replacement elements come with a new thermal limiter already mounted on it.

LINK > Example SM 1800 watt Element & Thermal Limiter Asm. (from model RF378PXGB0)

LINK > Example SM 1200 watt Element & Thermal Limiter Asm. (from model RF378PXGB0)

LINK > Example LG 2500 watt Element & Thermal Limiter Asm. (from model RF378PXGB0)

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

You are quite correct. Sorry, I was reading from the owners manual (in this case RTFM is completely useless for any real troubleshooting tips), The model in question appears to be as best my needing correction eyes can tell...

RF378PXGQ 0 (that is a zero, not upper case o).

I am certain about the zero, not 100% on the Q, it's sideways, and in a tough to read spot for my eyes, it's either a Q (about 95% sure) or a D with a scratch in the lower corner... (the nagging doubt part...)

Comment

Okay I know it looks dumb to follow up my own post, with a post... But I must admit, I glanced over your first reply... and rushed to get you the model #. The link you gave me for the location of the ID tag doesn't match up with my range though. Mine may be odd, but the ID tag is actually on the range frame right behind the drawer almost on the floor....

Is there a way to test the limiter? What should I be looking for, a certain resistance, open, closed or?

By the way thanks so much for your quick response...

Comment

The link you gave me for the location of the ID tag doesn't match up with my range though. the ID tag is actually on the range frame right behind the drawer almost on the floor....
          JFYI - The model tag location description at the link says, "The most common placement is on the front surface of the range body behind the drawer or the oven door."

The model in question appears to be as best my needing correction eyes can tell...

RF378PXGQ 0 (that is a zero, not upper case o).

I am certain about the zero, not 100% on the Q, it's sideways, and in a tough to read spot for my eyes, it's either a Q (about 95% sure) or a D with a scratch in the lower corner
          I don't see a listing for a model with a "D" in it so "Q" is likely correct. The link below has it's exploded parts view:

LINK > Whirlpool RF378PXGQ0 Exploded Parts Views

Is there a way to test the limiter?
          That limiter is essentially a SPDT switch with 4 terminals, 2 for the element and 2 for the light circuit. The contacts to the element circuit should be normally closed, only opening during an overheat condition. The contacts for the hot surface indicator light should be open until heated.

Those indicator light contacts would be shorted (ie. defective) if they showed continuity even when the element was still cold.

BTW. The element limiter is no longer available separately for your range model. If defective the element corresponding to the malfunctioning limiter would need to be replaced. Your model range uses the same elements as the ones linked above for the RF378PXGB0 model.

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

More information

Originally posted by Dan O.
            That limiter is essentially a SPDT switch with 4 terminals, 2 for the element and 2 for the light circuit. The contacts to the element circuit should be normally closed, only opening during an overheat condition. The contacts for the hot surface indicator light should be open until heated.
            There is a little more information about the smooth top element limiter switch at the following link.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Electric Range Radiant Element Thermal Limiter

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =